I need some recommendations. I'm a Cub Scout den leader that is giving recommendations to boys who will soon start camping as Webelos.

I am in northern Illinois, and am focusing on polyester filled sleeping bags (hollofil, qualofil...). Are any of these fills that much better than others? I read somewhere that Polarguard is more "durable" than the others, but don't recall ever having fill be the thing that fell apart on a sleeping bag - it is usually the stitching or zippers.

What temperature rating do you recommend for a scout's first sleeping bag purchase? I worry that if it is too low, they won't be able to use the bag on moderately chilly summer nights.

Also, while I understand the warmth advantage of a mummy-shaped sleeping bag, I myself have just never been comfortable sleeping in them. I also prefer non-nylon lining material as there is nothing worse laying on nylon on a warm summer night.

My tendency is to tell the boys to eventually have two sleeping bags: start out with a summer bag that is rectangular with flannel lining and rated to 30 or 40 degrees, and then, when needed plan to get a cold-weather bag that is mummy-shaped with a non-absorbant lining, and a 0 or less degree rating.

Oh, and do your boys usually get a stuff sack, or do they just use the ties/straps that come with the bags. Do you recommend compression stuff sacks - they cost 2-3 times that of regular stuff sacks.

One man's observations...

I'm not sure that one of these synthetic materials is superior to another, believe that other factors are more important.

Entering into the debate, I's suggest at least a 20 rating but the variables are many - a 0 bag is probably a better idea or you might want to recommend a fleece liner - avoid down for these new Troops until they're experienced and need it.

Mummy bags are the only way to go for cold-weather camping - some manufacturers (Slumberjack) make multiple sizes. I bought one a size larger than normal (added 3" in height and 4" in width) and it made all the difference for me.

You might want to think sewing up a bedsheet liner for warmer weather usage - recommend the flannel with Star Wars designs(!)

Would hesitate to recommend a rectangular bag and flannel can be tough to find unless you're shopping at WalMart (??)

Agreed with eventually having 2 sleeping bags, but again consider the fleece summer bag and sheet liner combinations - remember that your boys will develop ways that work for them over seasons. Many of them are small for standard sized bags and can get away with things that we adults can't manage.

And a stuff sack should be mandatory - probably one size larger than the one that comes with the bag for ease of use. I've seen way too many new Scouts struggle with a too-small stuff sack, it can ruin their introduction to the outdoor experience. Sounds petty but this is important I believe; also makes setting up their pack much easier. Don't think that compression sacks are necessary for the new troops- but nice if you favor internal frame packs.

Much of this is subjective and YMMV

Lets hear from some others

The Polarguard bags are the better way to go in my opinion and I have been using one for 25 years. The problem you are facing is that it makes no sense for the parents of an 11 year old kid to go buy an expensieve sleeping bag because they will outgrow it. Parents don't like paying $100+ for a bag that a boy uses two years then has to have another one because this one is too small. You don't want to get a bag that they will "grow into" because then they can't keep it warm in the winter time. In Northern Illinois I'm sure it gets cold in the winter so you would want a bag with at least a 20 degree rating, but if you aren't backpacking then you can always supplement the bag by adding a blanket in real cold weather.

In our council Cub Camping is not allowed October through May. Not saying that I agree or disagree, but you might want to check the guidelines in your council.

Camping equipment for Webelos Scouts is a tough call. How many boys have their own equipment already? How many are using a big brothers old stuff?

I remember some years back inviting someone to cover Equipment at a Webelos Scout Den Leader Outdoor Training, the guy started showing all the very top of the line stuff which cost an arm and a leg. The Den Leaders nearly swallowed their teeth.

Rather then have the parents go and spend all the money that a good sleeping bag costs, I would see if you could rent or better yet borrow what is needed. Leave the selection of a sleeping bag to till the Lad finds out what sort of camping the troop that he might join does. Some troops do a lot of hiking, in which case he will need to be concerned about weight, while others do more car camping. Some do lots of wimter canping while others might use cabins in the winter.

I think that you might be jumping the gun a little bit.

Eamonn

Im a huge advocate of buying high quality equipment, but I have to agree with Eamonn. Cubs, even Webelos cannot camp during the colder weather months and unless you have a bunch of real camping families they are not going to tough-it-out during very bad weather at other times of the year. So I dont feel that there is a need for the parents to spend big bucks on high quality gear just yet.

A 30-40 degree bag is probably OK. They are not backpacking, so packed size doesnt matter either. If it rains, well so what, even if it was a good bag it might get wet anyway, and this has little bearing with respect to a short local trip for Webelos. Aside from that, no bag is entirely waterproof (suffocation hazard) the better bags just dont lose their insulating qualities when they become wet, but thats not important because you wont be camping when its really cold.

The one thing that you may want to do is to instruct them to buy a Youth Size bag. They will be warmer, and a little less bulky.

As a Webelos leader, your task is to get the boys thru the Webelos program, and yes that includes some camping and outdoor activities. But the Heavy Duty camping should wait until they are Boy Scouts.

The remaining issue is one of MONEY. Some of the boys may not move on to Boy Scouts. Some Troops have very specific sleeping bag requirements. You dont want some parent going out today to buy a $150.00 sleeping bag that will be unacceptable by the Troop standards next year.

We always try to plan the first trip to occur with good weather, great trails, and an ice cream parlor at the take out. But a 30-40 degree bag is good. I have yet to figure out the difference in synthetics but I suppose they really are different. Size is important because a small boy can cut down on weight by using a smaller bag. But, as noted, the bag can be outgrown.

I like the idea of sewing in a flannel liner but I prefer a 'Little Mermaid' pattern. The boys see that and it seems to keep them guessing. For some reason they are too shy to ask.

Sleep is one of the important components of a great camping experience. But don't forget another big one: Food. That's another topic though.

You can get by with cheap bags or old bags. My sons and I first year in Boy Scouts we used old bags that we have had for about 20 years. They where rated at 40 degrees 20 years ago. I would take 2 bags and put one into the other, I could stay warm to about 20 degrees this way. Bought my son a Coleman mummy 0 degree bag at Wally World for about 40 bucks, he loves it and says he stays warm in it, he has used it in 15 degree weather. Last year we went on a week long canoing trip, I found Lafuma extreme bags, that weigh less than a pound. Rated for 23 degrees. Mummy style on the top, rectangular on the bottom. Used it last weekend in 35 degree weather I did not stay warm. We will be using these bags this summer at Double H. after last weekend I will be purchasing fleece liners for them, for the trip to Double H.