Maine High Adventure Job

I saw a job posting for a summer season backcountry guide at Maine High Adventure. This would be the summer job of a lifetime if I could get it, especially since I'm planning to attempt a thru hike of the Appalachian Trail next year. My older brother was a Scout and I went out with his troop a couple times, but I never got the chance to join, myself.

I was wondering if anyone here had any tips on how I might get this job. If anybody has any experience with the program or anything similar, I'd be interested to hear from you. I'm 19, been a lifeguard for the past four summers, and going to college in Illinois, which is all flat land and no mountains or raging rivers. This would be an awesome experience that I'd love to take part in, so any info is appreciated.

Thanks!

Getting that job is likely similar to getting a job at Philmont. If I can persuade you, apply for a Philmont ranger, backcountry or conservation job as well.

Apply early and reach out in person to whoever is the professional in charge of hiring.

A great scouting resume really helps. It's too late to start now, but list how you're familiar and associated with scouting.

Get letters of recommendation from someone else who has worked there, your DE, some Scouters, etc. Stack the deck as much as you can.

Cito

this young man was never a scout........

Now is too late to try to fluff your resume for the job......Remember you could possibly have the lives of your clients in your hands.......

But first you need to ask yourself, do you have the skills to guide folks into the backcountry safely and comfortably as possible.

LNT trained????

Have you attended NOLS or similar outdoor training....are you an EMT or have any other substantial first aid training?????

What other skills or training do you bring to the table????

Not hating just asking......

Sure, the lack of real scouting background certainly makes it trickier. In the end, fill out the resume and list your assets. Like any job. I don't know the entire backstory, but the high adventure bases employ people without long scouting resumes. Some people come into scouting as adults and that's great. We need quality people at all ages and I'd agree with BD that you should improve your skills to be the best guide you can be.

My wife, (girlfriend at the time) worked three summers at Philmont. When she came into it, her outdoor resume was largely the backpacking, camping, climbing and canoeing that I'd brought her into. I trust her to belay me and she wanted a rock climbing job. I wrote a letter of introduction to the assistant director of program and she got a job at cito that summer. Two summers later she was the head rock climber.

Another thought is that most camps have staff alumni groups, you could ask them.

I worked for the Maine National High Adventure Base back when it was a national program and not run by the Katahdin Area Council. Matagamon Base is a beautiful and historical base in one of the most beautiful and isolated places in Maine.

If you want to be a guide, make sure your lifeguard certificate is up to date. It helps if you have canoeing experience - most trips are canoe trips or a combination of canoe and backpacking trips. There are some crews that will just do backpacking but if you can't canoe, don't count on being able to get backpacking only crews all summer.

If you haven't gone to mainehighadventure.org yet, go to it now - you can read about the base and the staff requirements. Before you send in an application, first thing on Monday, call the Katahdin Area Council office and ask if they still have any job openings left. I'm not sure how old the job posting you saw is and I'm afraid it may be too late - interviews start in December and most are filled by the beginning of March. If there are any openings left, find out if it is one that interests you and apply.

If there isn't a position available this year, you might keep it in mind for next year and apply early - and use the year to brush up or learn some skills you might decide would help. You might also ask if there are any openings at Camp Roosevelt, Katahdin Area Councils regular summer camp, and get to know some of the folks there this year that might help next year.

Good luck!

First off, thanks to everyone for the quick and informative replies. I'm grateful for your help.

This job post for a backcountry guide was put up May 10, two days ago, which hopefully means that it's still open, but I'll follow your advice, CalicoPenn, and I'll definitely call Monday morning to confirm.

Regrettably, I don't have a scouting background. Like I said before, my brother was a Scout and I hung around some of his events growing up. Two of my best friends are Eagle Scouts, though I don't know how official their recommendation would be. I'm at least fairly familiar with the organization and how it operates, along with things like Leave No Trace, even though I'm not certified at the moment.

I'm actually getting my lifeguard recertification next week, which includes CPR. I've taught swim camp every summer since I started working, so I have some familiarity with responsibility and teaching kids. I camp, canoe, and hike, and though it's only for personal recreation, I do have some experience there. I wouldn't apply for a job with this responsibility if I didn't think I could handle it, but I do recognize your concerns. I definitely wouldn't want to see an inexperienced guide with the potential to cause problems in a position of leadership.

The website says that they do provide all training and certifications for the position on site, including Wilderness First-Aid, Lifeguarding, and LNT. I know enthusiasm doesn't make up for lack of experience, but I can get experience through working. Enthusiasm is a little harder to develop. I think I have the energy and willingness to learn that would make the summer a great one. Cito, I'll take you up on that advice and put in for a Philmont job as well when they have a position open.

Once again, thanks to everyone for your help!

• 3 weeks later...