Sorry I just read my own last post here. Our Venture Crew website is www.crew746.com it is working fine however you will need a pass word to enter the full site. it is run by a 16 year old Venture Scout. If you want to see the full site you need to email the webmaster.

Dan,

Thanks for the info. Do you have a link to the source doc. One of our new dads designs websites for a living and has started work on ours. I would like to refer him to the policy doc.

Weekender

• 1 month later...

Bumping this up -

but also posting my many questions -

For troops that have a website -

How much did the boys do?

How did you get it started?

how do free sites ( like Scouter.com) compare to inexpensive pay sites? does a free site "do the job?"

We want to post lots of pictures, hopefully a calendar of events, and maybe even some commonly used documents(or links to them on the BSA site and others.)

Do you have real computer-savvy leaders in your troop? or did you do this all on your own? Can it be done by computer literate, but not web-designer people?

Some of our boys and leaders want to do a troop website - but none of us have any web-creation experience. I'm probably the most computer-literate - but have never built a website.

Any suggestions for us?

Where do we start?

• 7 months later...

Laura,

Several questions:

How many boys are interested in helping to make the site? Our troop site, when finished, will be run completely by two scouts. One scout's dad will review site often for problems.

What would a budget for a proposed site look like? Our troop has no budget set for a site though I do plan to try soon.

What programs do you have on your computer? I have FrontPage, Word, Excel, Powerpoint, etc

FrontPage and Word can both make sites.

Also, there are tutorials on the internet for HTML. These could become very helpful, I found sitebuilder sites are not the greatest. They will do but I prefer not using it.

We have a fairly large Pack and decided that a website was the best way to communicate any and all changes to our Scouts, Leaders and parents. We update the site weekly (unless information needs to be posted immediately) It has really cut down on the "I didn't know about that" or "we were never told" syndrome. Everyone in the Pack knows about it and we have actually recruited 2 Scouts because of it. It is well worth the time and effort to have a site for your unit! We researched hundreds of Scouting and Organization type sites to come up with our own "feel". Now our Troop is exploring the possibility of doing the same thing.

If your units budget allows for it, get your own domain name and host without the banner ads (some of the ads may not be appropriate for youth.) We use www.nomonthlyfees.com for hosting our site. No banner adds or pop-ups and the support is awesome! It costs $15.95 a month or $200 a year, but they run specials that allows you to pay $100 per year (which translates into $8.33 a month) You get 600mb of space, database capability, unlimited e-mails. and the ability to run perl scripts to make your site more dynamic. You can include the Scouts in some aspects of the site to help them earn the Academics belt loop and pin for computers and for the older boys, it would be a great way to help them earn the computers merit badge. Our site was designed with Dreamweaver MX, but MS Frontpage will work just as well.

I am the webmaster of both a pack and troop website ( and soon to be for a girl scout one too). I am in the process of moving the pack site to bravepages.com and working on the troop one to move there too. I use Microsoft FrontPage 2000 for these sites and the other ones I run. I plan to add special things such as Flash.

http://www.pack301.bravepages.com

http://www.outdoorguide.cjb.net

http://hops19.tripod.com

http://www.troop323.cjb.net

http://374.flyingember.com

one thing that I've found that makes or breaks a webpage is pictures and being current.

a newsletter, attendence calendar are all great, but become out of date so quickly. putting up images of the scouts over the years is much more interesting and you get the same scouts for years in them. I have ones going back to 96/97. I have over 45 mb of images on the page.

make the page timeless. information about where meetings are, general information about events attended and where you goto camp. local links. don't put up specific information about a campout unless you have time to update it often.

have the scouts help if possible. let them take picts and put them up. get that leader with a camera to let you borrow the images to scan in or send them to you. have them write stories for the webpage about specific campouts.

feature the page in the troop newsletter.

most of all, use it as a record of what the troop did. most issues with names and the like can be alleviated if someone can not find where you're going from the webpage. I put a newsletter archive up but never the recent ones with upcoming events.