First time Cub Scout resident camp staffing finished

WEll, I worked my first time as a cub scout resident camp staffer.

What a weekend! To start with, we were short about 5-6 people just on the Webelos side of things.And there were around 470 scouts in attendance. Then found out that the national inspector for camp accreditation were going to be there Saturday.

Friday night, I worked the sign in table. It's amazing how many people think we have a mobile computer that has ALL their med form info on it. I had a huge stack of forms for those who did not have one. It'sw amazing how many people get bent out of shape over a form.

And yes, we explained time and time again ahead of time through e mails and RT's to unit leaders that they had to bring them.

Now, this was at Cape Fear Scout Reservation in White Oak ,NC If you are familar, you know that Camp McNeill Cub SCout World and Camp Bowers Boy Scout camp are butted up to each other.If you weren't familiar.....you are now! :)

WE had all scouts camp at McNeill, but the Webelos Scouts ( and Bears who were considered Webelos) hiked over to Bowers for colors and spend the day there including breakfast, lunch, and dinner, then evening colors.

Afterward, they hiked back to McNeill for campfire ceremonies and whatnot.

So, I was supposed to teach Craftsman I, which was SUPPOSED to be the Craftsman activity Pin subjects of woodworking, but with being shorthanded, I ended up teaching woodworking, plastic and leatherworking. I did have the help of a 15 year old Boy Scout who was also teaching how to tie survival bracelets and woggles.

At one point, while relaxing during down time, the camp director and one of the inspectors walked by,m said hi and chatted a few minutes.

Latter, during that nights staff meeting, I commented that I felt lucky that..being the rookie and shorts staffed, that the inspector camy by while we had a slack moment.

The Program director started laughing at said " NO, they ( both inspectors) came by about an hour earlier when you were standing on top of one of the craft tables yelling!" .

Actually, I was explaining to 16 different packs ( at one time) what the craft stations were, what they needed to do, safety tips, etc...and was using the table as a high ground podium.

Matter of fact, while explaining the woodworking station that consisted building a bug zoo, I started joking with the boys when they asked what they were for:

"You take these bug zoos, and go and catch bugs, stick them in the cages, close the lids, then take them home and let them loose in your mom's bedroom."

The boys thought it was the funniest thing they ever heard. The parents laughed too.

The program director said the inspectores were impressed that I got everybody's attention, spoke loud enough that " That man doesn'ty need a pa does he?" , strongly informed them of all safety rules, and still made the boys laugh and have fun.

Apparently, the inspector s were from out of Virginia. Old school types.

So later Saturday night, the threat of bad weather ( strong winds, hard rain and hail) caused alot of folks to leave right after supper. We canceled our outdoors campfire ceremony snd moved it inside to the dinning hall. Attendance was minimal -service scouts and staff outnumbered the participants 7 to 1, but we still put on a show for those who stuck it out.

In the end, we had 5 minutes of downpour, followed by 15 minutes of drizzle and the rest of the storm parted around us and passed us by.

Sunday breakfast consisted of 4 staffers and one Webelos scout ( mine).

So, to recap:

Understaffed, over attended, National Inspectors, and rained out. Oh, did I mention that the camp is 2 1/4 hours away from home?

AND I HAD A BLAST! I'd love to go back next weekend, but next weekend is when my pack is having it's Pack campout/crossover/graduation ceremony.

The third session of Resident camp is whan my pack is holding it's annual BBQ chicken fundraiser. Can't go then either, but made myself available to work all 3 of next years as well as next falls Parent/Son weekend.

Yup, sounds like a blast! My wife does not understand why I want to do it. I have a small program that I agreed to take over last year and it was a dream so I agreed to do it again this year and boy is my wife frosted! LOL She does not understand how wonderful it is to see the boys laugh and have fun at camp (she understands, but why do I have to do it?). The reality is I am aiming to get the OA involved with the program so that the boys will get the benefit of youth leadership and my sons can be part of the staff and learn to be better teachers and leaders. It is a win-win in my mind. Sorry to go on but I am excited and I know that the boys from my Pack that attend will never forget!