Anybody have a charcoal chimney?

I take ours camping to use for cooking hot dogs . I go to a dollar store and can buy two 9"X13" aluminum foil pans for about a buck fifty. I set those pans on 4 red bricks and dump the coals in when they are ready.

Takes about a 1 liter bottle of water to completely put out.

First time I used the chimney, I really was skeptical at first, I admit...as many times as I have used it...I am still impressed at how well it works! :)

And would you believe..after checking various sites and places, that scoutstuff actually has the cheapest price for a DO table.

At least as far as the onse I checked out.

$99 isn't cheap.

I bought mine from gander mountain, it was on sale for $59 and then I got the extra 10% off with my scout membership card. Camp chef......If I had a complaint about it....it won't handle 22 inch dutch ovens.....not big enought. We use XL pizza pans on top of it for those.

Here is the google search page with a bunch for less money.

http://www.google.com/products?client=firefox-a&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&channel=s&hl=en&q=Dutch+oven+table&um=1&ie=UTF-8&ei=1cr5S4i7HMOAlAeXwZSrCg&sa=X&oi=product_result_group&ct=title&resnum=1&ved=0CDIQrQQwAA

Plus Cub parents aren't really excited about cooking on the ground. Oh well.

Cool, most of the places I have sen them are suites/stores such as Cabela's, Overtons, Bass Pro Shop, and Lodge's website. Average price at those sites was around $145.00

That's why BSA's price of $99 looked like a steal to me.

I hate squating down for a DO cause I have issues with my back. I can climb, jump, swim, carry whatever and be okay, Seems like every time I ever hurt my back was right when I got up from squating or leaning over something.

I've been experimenting with charcoal lately (a couple of years ago, I went "old school" and bought a Weber kettle, and gave up the gas grill).

"All-Natural Hardwood Lump" charcoal (I've tried four kinds) starts up quickly (about 10 minutes in a chimney) and burns hot, but has a relatively short duration. So I prefer it for searing steaks, for example. One of the more popular brands of lump charcoal, Cowboy brand, is not my favorite. I like Royal Oak better, and it is cheaper in my area of the country. A friend gave me a bag of "Wicked Good Lump" which is alleged to be among the best, but I haven't gotten to it yet.

"All-Natural Hardwood Briquette" charcoal takes longer to start up, doesn't burn as hot as lump, but sustains heat much better. Tends to be cheaper than lump charcoal. Kingsford is not my favorite. I like Trader Joe's, which is pretty cheap. I just bought some bags of "Kingsford Competition", which is supposed to be much better than the regular stuff. I also saw at a local grocery has Royal Oak briquettes, which I'll be trying out.

Just in case you think I have a shortage of opinions, I think Match Light is crap, the Kingsford stuff impregnated with wood chips (mesquite, hickory, etc) is next to useless, I hate lighter fluid, chimneys are the way to go, and if you want to try out "low and slow" (even on a Weber kettle), you need to do a google search on "Minion method". :-)

Guy

Why use charcoal?

Last weekend at our council camp-o-ree I saw someone using a cardboard box stove to cook cupcakes. They were using a backpacking stove for a heat source.

They said they usually use a can of sterno but ran out of them and didnt have time to get more and substituted what they had for a heat source.

He jokingly said that he was going to use a 200 watt light bulb next time (think EZ-bake oven).

He also had an old metal pie tin to hold the charcoal and used 3 or 4 rock to hold it up off the ground.