Semi-high adventure Family Campout

Every other winter our troop goes down to Crystal River (7 hour drive) to swim with the Manatees; it is a family campout. It started on President's day weekend, but our school district dropped that holiday 6 years ago, so it got crammed into a 2 night whirlwind (still with families).

We usually take advantage of the 3-day weekend Martin Luther King weekend for a winter hike in the Appalachian foothills. This year, our school district has added a teacher planning day on the following Tuesday, so we have a 4-day weekend at our disposal. I proposed to our previous PLC that we move the manatee trip to this 4-day weekend so that we are not so rushed on this outing and can take advantage of the extra time to do some fun stuff (like maybe a day at Sea World or Busch Gardens). In years past we staying at a private campground on small spots with all the troop in one or two giant tents and all the adults (and families) in one or two more tents. With the bonus day, we can stay at a scout camp 30 miles away and drop the circus tents/soft-sided-condos. Everyone knows I am trying to promote a patrol-centric, youth run troop. Finally, I also suggested that this should be a scouts only event and leave families at home.

The PLC throught this was all a great idea, but it has been met with resistance at the committee (and parent) level, primarily on 2 fronts. First, the committee felt this was going to be too expensive of a trip. They piped down a little when I suggested that the scouts should raise half the projected cost in fund raising, but that was not a home run, as our troop has never used funds for outings, only day-to-day operations. Second, several want this to be a family outing (one with an ASM son, a 17 year old who probably won't go, and cub scout son; and another MC with no scouts in the troop).

To make my position clear, I am not opposed to a family campout every so often; in fact, I think it is a good thing. My objections here are, one, it is already expensive; two at a foreign scout camp, I dont want to have a family campout; and three, at an amusement park, I can see the families dragging the scouts away from the patrols. Had we a more experienced troop with different (youth) leadership, I may not be so against the family experience, but with mostly 11 and 12 year olds and a 13 year old SPL, they will be bowled over by parents wanting scouts to spend the day hopping the park with them. I really want this to be a fun outing with a real opportunity for the scouts and patrols to grow and bond.

I am open to hear any opinion someone wants to offer, whether you agree with me or not. The (young) PLC will meet on Saturday, and I would like to have some info to throw at them regarding this, and be better prepared myself to make a decision I can stand by.

Sorry, I can't see how a visit to an amusement park is in any way a Scout event. Family included or not. Somehow I can't see your council approving a money-earning permit to earn money to go to an amusement park. Of course stranger things have happened.

There are a number of interesting State Parks in the vicinity of Crystal River that would be better for a Scout activity and for promoting Patrols. How do you plan on keeping a patrol together at an amusement park? Boys will want to go on the rides that THEY like and not stand in line for an hour with their Patrol for a ride that they are not interested in (or makes them throw up).

Are "circus tents" the only kind your Troop has? Don't families have their own tents?

Ah yes the Holy Trinity of scouting.

Scout led troops will pick fun vacation type outings

Committees and parents want value, time and money well spent

Scoutmasters want rugged leadership and self growth events.

Congratulations you have a boy led troop.

Support the scouts of course.

You are on the right track; have the scouts earn half the outing's fee through fundraisers. Be stern with the parents and think of all the personal growth arguments you can, setting a vision, earning one's keep.....

If you make this a family event then it gets hard to sort out the fundraising. Do all participants get credit for the bake sale, popcorn sale or yard clean-up?

No one gets credit for anything. Our treasurer believes firmly that fundraising should be a troop activity and should be to the benefit of the troop, not the individual; he also does not want to manage scout "accounts" and has strongly resisted all attempts to have them, even though others committee members (like the fundraising coordinator) have agreed to manage them.