Cub Scout Speciality Weekends

I have a question to pose to the membership.

I have heard in the past that many Cub Scout packs are not attending District and/or Council events because it usually ends up being the "Same old Camp."

If you were presented with a special weekend like the Boy scouts have (Eagle Weekend, Shooting sports etc.) wold you take you unit there.

Some things that I have been thinking of were like having a LNT weekend, of a Crime prevention weekend.

What do you think?

Out of all the Cub Scout events I've attended (since '02 or so), the one that seemed to go over best was this: at a "Webelos Woods" day at a local scout camp, the organizers arranged a visitor from a local pet store. His store specializes in reptiles, and he brought a bunch with him (some were able to be handled, some could be touched, with the owner doing the actual handling). It was pretty cool to see the tremendous reaction.

Guy

I have in the past worked on specialty Shooting Sports days for Cubs. They have been very popular.

We have a one day horse back riding event coming up this fall. I'm curious to see how that goes.

We haven't had the same experience you seem to have had, not sure why.

Last year my council started doing "Speciality" Cub Camps.

They are doing them again this year they were so popular.

They are open to Tiger through Webelos

These are both one night (Friday)- cost is $90 (parent/child)

One has a Learn to Fish theme - the other shooting sports.

For a few years they have been doing for WEBELOS only a Mountain Man weekend.

I like some of the ideas. If you any ideas for other weekend themes, post them. I could use some other ideas too.

CNY

Would the mountain man weekend be like a scout skills focused weekend or something?