Campfire waffle maker

Didja hear about the Scout that burned himself on his pancake griddle? It was waffle...

Seriously, do you mean those two-sided sorta clam shell things you put batter into and clamp together and put in the coals and count to 30 and turn over and count to 30 and pull out and open up and hope the waffle batter has cooked and doesn't stick to the shells? That thing?

Maybe? I don't really like pancakes, so my husband makes me waffles every weekend. I thought it might be nice to get him some kind of waffle iron for Cub camporees. I like waffles because you can eat them with your fingers with fruit and cream on top. I'm familiar with the clam shell pie irons, and I've seen similar things made as waffle irons.

It's been a while since I've seen a waffle iron used over a campfire, but I can say with some experience that if one gets good with it, one will be VERY popular. The 'mountain pie' iron is a large favorite at our campfires.

Like any cuisine, it takes some practice and adjusting of the rrecipe. An art form, to be sure.

Bon apetit.

Our SM does it with 2 slices of bread, and puts "pie-filling" from the can in it.

He has a knack for guessing when to turn and pull from the fire. A couple ASM's and a couple Scouts are trying to get there too.

It's too slow for a meal, but fine for cracker barrel, or "sitting around the camp fire" food.

I did hear about a new way to roast hot dogs.

Get a 1/2 gallon paper/wax carton (orange juice/milk. etc), foil wrap the hotdogs in buns and put inside the carton. Toss carton on hot bed of coals (or the campfire). When the carton has burned way the dogs are done, and the bread is slightly toasted.

As soon as we head out for our next outing , I'm doing it for the leaders fire. course, we'll probably have some Chili as backup in case the dogs get too burned to eat. :)

Okay, I'm at a loss here. If the receipe is the same, how is a waffle different than a pancake except how it's made? If the receipe is different then just make a pancake and poke holes in it before flipping.

Stosh

Stosh, pancakes and waffles are two different food items! Just because both are maple syrup delivery vehicles, it doesn't place them in the same category. :)

(for the record, waffle batter typically has more fat in it, which helps them become crispier -- but for really sublime waffles, one has to look for a "raised waffle" recipe, which isn't anything like a pancake batter)

Guy

Hmmm. I have an old Griswold waffle iron that I use which produces waffles 2-3 times thicker than most and I don't use any "raised" recipes. Just have to know the trick to make nice thick panCAKES. Then it makes no difference between the tread and non-treaded varieties. :^D

Stosh

I don't know why I don't like pancakes. They're just different from waffles. Maybe it's bacause the waffles are crispier on the outside than pancakes. Thanks for the suggestions.

Hmmm, patience is key in making the ultimate pancake/waffle. Waffles have more surface area and thus make "crispier" results. They also hold butter and syrup in the pockets too. I have nothing against the waffle. Yet, to make the best pancakes, after making the batter, be patient and let it set for 15 minutes before making pancakes. This allows the baking powder/sodas to work. One is trying to make the bubbles in the batter, NOT the bubbles from cooking be the showcase. Without having to lessen the liquids for the batter, which makes the pancakes doughy and "raw" in the inside to make them "thick", let the bubbles do their job. Cook at a little lower temperature and use butter rather than oil and one can get the pancake nice and crispy on the outside and fluffy and nice on the inside. The lower temperature allows the batter to cook all the way through without buring the pancake. The butter keeps it crisp without making it leathery on the outside. A well made pancake is just as good as a well made waffle, but one has to appoach the subject as work of art, not just a means of feeding oneself. Like a fine wine, it just takes a little more time.

:^D

Oops, almost forgot. When doing pancakes, do them on the bottom of the frypan. Most people have difficulty digging the pancake out of the pan so turn the pan over. This also means the sides of the pan hold the cook surface an inch or so off the coals and gives a more even heat. A good cast iron frypan is a campfire's best friend.

Also for those who prefer the waffles, the old fashioned waffle irons with the metal coiled handles (not the wood ones) do a very nice job on the campfire and make a huge waffle that will be able to quarter up and serve 4 waiting boys.

Stosh(This message has been edited by jblake47)