help - item list for new camper

Hello,

A couple of questions so we can give you better advice - is this an indoor (cabins?) or outdoor (tents?) camping experience? One night or two? Have you or your son ever camped before? And what's the weather supposed to be like in your part of NC next weekend (or in mid-Nov generally)?

We (parents) have a little experience in tent camping a longtime ago, but our son has only done the RV thing until now. We generally have all our gear already in the camper, but then we keep a check list of "important things" we need to make sure we get from the house - like camera or checking batteries for camera :) I was hoping someone kept a check list of things too so I could template off of it! If there were handy suggestions that are not normally in the leader's list I'd like to have time to shop for them this weekend.

http://www.centralnccouncilbsa.com/2008%20Outdoor%20Games.pdf is the event flyer. We are going for 2 nights.

60-70 daytime 40-50 nighttime

Looking at the event I would not recommend a new cub scout camp unless there is a large experienced contingent from the pack going with community meals planned. A visit for the day to participate in the events with the purchase of a lunch might be more in order. Most councils provide family camp experiences for cubs which are "camping lite" Meals are provided at the dining hall and there is an exciting schedule of events for the day. This camp is not offering meals other than lunch. Your family should you chose to attend would be responsible for all your own meals with the associated cooking gear etc.. It might be worth a call to see if they have RV spots available, most boy scout camps do, and bring your familiar rv that way you have its meal prep facilities and if the cub wants to sleep in a tent next to the RV he could. Essential personal equipment include sleeping bag rated to lower temp than what is expected, clothing, shoes, toiletries, light , eating utinsels, mess kit, bag to put it all in, sunscreen, bug repellent, cup, medications, and personal comfort items. There is a list here:

http://www.boyscouttrail.com/external_frame.asp?goto=/webelos/packinglist.htm

ScottEng said it well about gear. The basics are always the basics. How will I eat? Can I see at night?

Appropriate clothing for the weather is paramount. Little is worse than being cold unless it is being wet and cold. Warm sleeping bag is important, I like to wear a watch cap at night to keep my head warm.

Spare/dry/clean socks, pants, and shirt. Very important.

Forget the video games, PDAs, and Blackberrys.

Simple first aid kit with band aids and common meds like pepto bismol and benedryl.

my son started really camping when he was a webelos... my daughter's girl scouts a year ago. the 3 of us each has our own equipment we store in our camping backpack so that all we have to do is add needed clothes and grab our sleeping bag and go.

* flashlight - if setting up tents at night a headlight is best

* poncho - duh

* handytool - but if cubscout he needs to earn his whittling chip to carry a pocket knife

* flint

* waterproof matches

* toilet paper - take some and wrap around a wood craft stick and stick in a baggy... sometimes you'll be some where that doesn't have TP or even a toilet... also if you're at a place that has it the TP can be used to help start a fire when everything around is wet

* small package of kleenex

* mess kit with hobo set (silver ware) - get metal incase you ever have to use anything to help with cooking... both my kids have the fit together set that can be used to cook for individual also.

* duct tape

* personal first aid kit

now in my gear I have a few extras that I keep in my bucket sit upon that I need when my girl scouts go camping since we don't have a trailor like BSA's do...

* shovel

* wisp broom and dust pan

* fold up saw

* extra tent stakes

* rope

* larger 1st aid kit

* mallet

in cold weather camping we always throw in some hand/foot warmers. when we throw in clothes we also pack for the weather, making sure we have layers, and pack extra socks.

gloves that I love to use when weather is just a tad cool are batting gloves - they allow me to still grip things. I use to work outside in the winter here in Iowa, and most of the time that's about all I ever wore unless it got below zero and then I just put those stretchy gloves over them.

shoes - a cheap pair of water proof hiking boots... don't need to get anything fancy until you're going on a long hiking trip like philmont - then you want to spend a little more and get perfect fit etc.

Welcome to the forum legobryson. The flyer you posted states that unit leaders should sign up for this event. Has your Cubmaster signed up on behalf of the Pack? Your Den Leader? The flyer also states that personal gear will loaded onto a camp vehicle and taken to your camping spot. The RV idea probably won't work in this case. This also indicates that the camp is strongly recommending that you do not register as an individual cub scout and parent. Since meals will be your responsibility, it is also much easier to do it as a group (a den or a pack) than having to provide your own cooking equipment for just you and your son. Check with your Den Leader or Cubmaster.

As for individual gear needed, others have given you a very good list. I'm in South Carolina and the nights can get quite cool so do remember a knit cap (watch cap) for sleeping. Also, if you don't have a 30 degree rated sleeping bag, a fleece liner is a great option to add to the inside of whatever bag you have. Walmart sells them for about $10.

Dry clothes, including underwear and socks, absolutely essential for sleeping in cool/cold weather. Extra socks and and extra pair of shoes or boots. Even if it's not raining, it always amazed me how Cub Scouts could find a way to get their shoes soaked. Heck, even some of my Boy Scouts can't get through a weekend with dry feet.

Don't forget water. Even at cooler temperatures, you can get dehydrated. You may want to bring along a school-type backpack to carry things around while you and your son rotate through the daily activities.

Don't forget closed-cell foam sleeping pads or other quality pad to insulate you from the cold ground. In addition to the foam pad I like to use folded up wool blankets (Army surplus) between me and the foam pad. A little extra cushioning and a whole lotta warmth. Avoid cotton clothing, especially socks.

Thank you all so much for all the suggestions! I have been having internet problems so my response has taken a few day but I wanted to let you all know that I've written down the suggested items & am going shopping tomorrow:) I also had time to speak with the troop leader so check off a few items we will/will not need this weekend.

Chris P.

"legobryson"