I've been trying to get the patrol quartermasters in our troop to assemble a "GRUB BOX" which is just a plastic container with all the stuff they would need to cook on a campout, like cooking oil, folding skillet, spice wheel, camp soap and sponge for cleaning, three pans (for three pan cleaning method), etc.

I used a checklist to prepare and make sure everything is in the box and ready to go. Has anyone done this and/or had luck convincing the boys it's a good idea? So many times we're on campouts and they haven't packed basic things.

Carol

I have recommended such a patrol "kitchen" to my boys many times, but until it becomes obvious to them that going without is a problem, they won't be motivated to act on the suggestion. However, if one is a little more adult-led than I am, it might be a good idea to go ahead and put these kitchens together and give it to each patrol to do with them as they choose. I'm thinking though, that the boys/patrols that take ownership in the process will be more apt to actually use them as desired.

I personally take a "patrol" kitchen every time I go on a campout and the boys have come over to check it out on many occasions. Eventually they will make the connection and get one of their own. Their timetable and mine don't always match up that well.

Stosh

My son's troop has "always" had these, so it isn't an issue as most new boys to the troop just assume that's how you do things. On the good side, everything under the sun is in there. On the bad side, everything under the sun is in there. ;) They're heavy and often kind of dirty inside, and they limit the boys' ability to do more than car camping. They also could result in boys not bothering to plan carefully because they just rely on what they need being in the box. So, like everything else, it depends on what sort of activities the boys are doing and also on how they use the boxes.

I guess I wonder about what lessons your guys are learning when they go camping and forget some basic items. Do they remember that item the next time? What do they do to compensate for the forgotten necessity while they're camping? I would think that if they are forgetting important items like cooking oil or pans to wash up the dishes, that this wouldn't happen more than one time before they figured something out.

What happens when they forget the basic things? Does another patrol loan them equipment, or do the adults step in and give them what they need?

If it's the former, have a "self-sufficiency campout," where each patrol must operate on its own, independently, ideally camping away from the others. Each can have its own flag ceremonies, programs, campfire... and mealtimes.

If it's the latter, have the adults stop doing it. The Scouts will figure out a solution to replace the missing soap/pans/trash bags/condiments, and I guarantee you they'll plan better next time.

A little dish-scrubbing with sand never hurt anyone, improvising a set of tongs will spark some creativity, and eating stew without a spoon builds character. :-)

One downside to patrol boxes, as Lisabob points out, is that they do restrict your patrols psychologically. Scouts who are used to having a trailer lug around dutch ovens and tin cans of soup for them will have to really think outside the box (pun intended, sorry) when it comes time for backpacking.

They are useful for summer resident camp, though.

Ditto the last two posters.

With all due respect, having an adult make the checklist and assemble the box does not teach the scouts anything, IMHO.

If they forget stuff, SO WHAT? Let me tell you a story... my son forgot his sleeping bag on a campout. I knew it and threw it in the trunk of the car, and gave it to him later that evening. WRONG! He did the same thing next campout. That time, I did not pack another bag and he had to sleep under a tarp that night. He has not forgotten his sleeping bag since. Lesson learned!

Teaching them to be self-sufficient means letting them fail now and then. As long as its not a safety issue, let 'em go.

$0.02

I agree with he last few folks to post. They need to learn the hard way most of the time. They'll come up with a way to overcome what they forget and do better in the future.

Reminds me of a quote on the cover page of a Dutch Oven Cookbook I got on-line.

Scoutmaster Rule #47:

"No Boy Scout ever starved to death on a weekend campout."

-- Roger Morris, Scouter

Going back to the original post, I think this is a good idea. I tried to persuade our troop to do this some years ago and was voted down. If you are going to do this, have the boys think through the list of gear and go buy it. If purchasing is to be done at the troop level, have the quartermaster do the shopping with some adult oversight. If they leave something off the list, they will figure that out in time. Having such a container of gear may also teach more accountability.

Our troop's gear is all oriented to backpacking rather than car camping. I would suggest that such patrol gear should be oriented to backpacking because it can still be used for car camping. I also recommend that the troop standardize at least the stoves that are to be used. This will facilitate the ability of the patrols to help one another in the field when one patrol runs out of fuel.

The kitchen I referred to earlier is basically a small plastic storage bin that fits nicely into an old BSA Yucca pack. The scouts can carry it on the front when they are backpacking and still have plenty of room to see around and has the two straps for keeping hands free. In and around the plastic bin one can stuff welding gloves, table cloths, towels, etc. If packed right it should only be 7-10# on the top end and any boy should be able to carry for a stint. When he gets tired, it can easily be passed off to the next scout in line by slipping ones arms out of the straps and the next boy slips in. All can be done without taking off their personal packs.

Stosh

A number of years back a past committee member built some nice, thin plywood boxes with fold down fronts and hinged lid. Each of our 4 patrols has one. Each term, the new QM uses his master inventory list and has each patrol QM review for damaged, broken, missing stuff. They get new gear as needed through troop QM. They add to it through the year, their own soap, salt, kool aid, peanut butter, other small non-perishable items that they want to keep for their patrol. They arent too big to prevent one boy from carrying, but two is preferable. Not too large to allow too much crap to accumulate. Works great. They have ownership of their boxes and protectively maintain them. Boy lead.

PM me if you want more details on them.

jblake,

So you have a "pass-off pack" that you use, instead of splitting the patrol cooking gear up among the patrol members? Interesting approach. Is that just to keep it all together? (I assume they split the food up in their personal packs?)

What brand, size or type of plastic container do you use - a Rubbermaid-style thing or something different?

The plastic bin is a hinged clear plastic bin, cheapie, I'm thinking a WalMart maybe Sterilite brand container. It's about 8" deep by 20 wide and maybe 20 long. If you'd like I can get exact measurements. It fits nicely into the standard Yucca pack #574 I'm that was very popular back in the 60's and 70's. It leaves a lot of room for extras and has the pouch in the flap for duty roster/menu etc.

Included in the kitchen I have 3 stacking stainless steel bowls, measuring spoons and cups, knives, long handled spoons, tongs, spatchula, whisk, matches, plastic bags, hotpads, cutting board, etc.

In the pack outside of the bin, goes things like welding gloves, table cloth, towels, etc.

With everything taken out, it does a fairly decent job of wash basin with the two larger bowls for cleanup. The bowls can also be put on the fire to heat water.

It's packed pretty tight so the food would need to be dispersed into the packs of others.

Larger items such as big pots, fry pans etc. could be dispersed as well. There are rings on the Yucca pack so a fry-pan could be bungy'd onto it if it wasn't too heavy.

Stosh(This message has been edited by jblake47)