Bigguy,

We did just that last year. Formed a "venture patrol" of older scouts with the same idea in mind. They were excited and enthusiastic. It hasn't worked out. They are no more active than any other patrol. The true leaders are still active, but just as if they were in standard patrols.

We (adult leaders) had hoped they would strike out and do cool stuff. They have yet to plan one outing. One camp out. One adventure.

Michigan? Say yah to da UP, eh? :)

Don't mind da others, thebigguy. They just don't know how to listen to a charmin' northern midwest accent.

Personally, I think high adventure is best when it builds toward a longer-term trip. Older boys do very well and get a lot out of long-term trips, eh? Yeh don't have to be too expensive. For hikin', there's Isle Royale National Park in your state, for example. North Country Trail goes through too, eh?

You can go cyclin' anywhere. Bet there's some OK mountain bikin' near you.

Lots of fishing. Lots of decent paddlin', too.

You are a bit climbin' poor in Michigan, but there's areas within a reasonable drive. Except for ice climbin', of course. Lots of that in da UP, eh?

Decent skiing and snowshoeing. And snow machining, too, fer sure.

And lakes! Small, and large. Boating from sail to stinkpot. Waterskiing, wakeboarding, you name it. SCUBA too, if yeh don't mind a bit nippy ;).

Talk to the Lisa'bob. She lives in your fair state and has a lot more to share, I'm sure. But you're really limited only by your willingness to encourage the imagination and dreams of your scouts!

Beavah

its true I have spent some time in the up. thanks for the support beav and I think your right its all going to come down to how much the guys really want to do. I'm willing to follow them any were.

lisabob: common miss information on the pot trail.

the potowatomi is a 17 mile loop

waterloo-pinkney is a 36 mile straight shot between the headquarters of the two parks.

also there are around 15 miles of other trails in the pinkney rec.

all trails easily accessed from Camp munhacke of the great salk trail.