Well my son got back from his first real backpacking trek tonight. He's exhausted! But it sounds like he had a lot of fun, even though the weather was lousy and his pack was a little on the heavy side.

The group of boys who went decided to form a venture patrol with a focus on hiking. He's excited about the future prospects of this patrol and was selected to be the PL. (Yes I'm having a parental moment, proud of him for giving it a go)

Not only that, but he told me that this was the first time (in 3+ years!) that he actually needed to be able to use most of his T-2-1 "scout skills" for real.

Thanks to all for your suggestions in various threads over the last couple of months as he has been preparing. He found many of them to be useful, and I kind of expect he will pay even closer attention in the future, now that he has some experience.

Congrats to both you Lisabob and your critter.

Nothing brings home "Be Prepared" like a backpacking trip. That's real camping.

WARNING>>>WARNING>>>WARNING>>>

He will now start looking at his gear and seeing things that he doesn't need anymore, stuff that could be lighter, stuff that could be better made, stuff that could do more than one thing. Hide all the REI and Campmor catalogs! Your wallet will thank me.

BTW, I'm a recovering gear addict. Well, not really recovering, but working at it.

Hi Lisabob,

Congratulations to you and your son. I believe that he has just embarked upon the best part of Scouting--backpacking. If he had fun with lousy weather and a heavy pack, just imagine how much fun he'll have when the weather breaks and his load lightens :).

Because of all the associated exercise, before too long you will see him morph into the best physical shape imagineable. His mental outlook will also improve considerably after he encounters all the natural beauty of the backcountry. I hope to see him as a ranger some day on a future trek to Philmont. Two of our Eagles just got hired for this summer's program, and they are really excited about it :cool: !

Also, heed Gern's advice well. You and your son will soon become the best customers of your local and internet backpacking outfitters, so watch your wallet closely.

LisaBob, isn't it exciting when we see our sons take on more adventure? Very proud moment for him and for you.

I remember not too long ago, my younger son declare he was NEVER going backpacking again - and that was after a short, fairly easy 5 mile hike in good weather. On last month's troop campout, all the guys hiked in a little under two miles to the campsite. Then, younger son, along with three other Scouts (our Troop's four "senior" Scouts), set off on their own backpacking adventure. They picked the most difficult trail in the area. Had a blast, even though the weekend was cold and rainy at times. Just a couple of weeks ago during spring break, younger son, two of those other older Scouts, husband and another ASM, went on a 2 1/2 day trip along the AT - covered 18 miles.

Tired and sore, but already making plans for the next trek.

And, yes, I concur about hiding the Campmor and REI catalogs!

Lisabob,

Excellent report. We have 3 backpacking trips planned this year, including a week in Yellowstone... and may squeeze in another 2 short ones...

Also watch out for Big Agnes stuff... really awesome tents, sleeping pads, bags,... ooooooooooooooooo < eyes glazing over, going into a trance >

Cool,

I made sure my sons got into Scouts just so I could go backpacking. My 2C scout is going after his BP merit badge. We've done two 15 milers so far, but one was only one night so it didn't count. Our troop has a few guys in what we call our backpacking crew who are all working on the badge. Last fall, we did a 15 miler at Holly Rec. area. The boys hiked 10 miles in the rain. When we got back to camp, they decided they wanted to go out again that day. We did three more miles so the next day, all we had to do was hike back to the car to get our 15 miles in. These guys had a blast.

I'm the non-recovering gearhead. It's driving my wife crazy.

BTW, where did they go?

Yeah it is pretty exciting stuff, roots and wings indeed. Another benefit seems to be a little more group cohesion. He went with some guys who are not always known for being helpful to each other and they all ended up working together and encouraging each other rather nicely from the sound of things.

Raisinemright - they hiked the Chief Pontiac Trail along the Huron River from Highland SRA to Kensington Metropark. I'm not sure what council you're in over in Holly but if you aren't familiar with this trail you should definitely check it out. You don't have to be part of Clinton Valley Council to do this trail (or even be boy scouts). The "credential hikes" for scouts 1st C and higher are especially cool although they require a lot of pre-planning. Here's a link to the CPT hiking program. Our guys are talking about maybe doing the canoe/hike this summer.

http://cpt.cvc-bsa.org/

We're CVC in Ojibwa council. I've heard of the trail and checked it a little bit.

We did Nordhouse Dunes near Ludington last September. There are several miles of marked trails but we started in Ludington State Park and just hiked the beach along Lake Michigan for about 8 miles and made camp. We hiked back the next day. It was pretty fun. The boys got to climb a lighthouse and check out the remnants of a old shipwreck. Just a few beams left over.

I'm taking my 2C and my Bear, along with my brother, his dog, a friend and his two non Scout boys to Hoist Lakes Foot Travel Area north of Glennie, MI in 3 weeks. That should be lots of fun.

"Yeah it is pretty exciting stuff, roots and wings indeed. Another benefit seems to be a little more group cohesion. He went with some guys who are not always known for being helpful to each other and they all ended up working together and encouraging each other rather nicely from the sound of things. "

Yes, I've observed this behavior as well. The same group that gets on each other's nerves and gives each other grief during a week at a council summer camp gels into a crew after 5 days on the trail.

SA