No in my book means NO!!

The addition of beer to a meat that has been cured or brined is not going to make a difference to the meat.

It might add something to anything else cooked in the broth. (Cabbage? Potatoes?)

But I kinda think the salt in the meat will override the taste of two cans of beer.

You might want to wash the meat in cold water.

Place it in a nontoxic container and cover it with the beer. Leave it in the refrigerator (Covered) for 3-4 days. Add a few cloves of garlic, chopped onion, a few bay leaves, peppercorns, juniper berries and some chopped celery and carrot. Turning the meat once or twice each day.

When the time comes drain the meat place in a zip-lock bag take to camp and cook it. Any flavor that the beer would have imparted to the meat will be in it and the rule will still not have been violated.

Here in SW PA, while some county parks/ Camp grounds do allow alcohol, State owned properties do not. Alcohol is not allowed to be taken on to Council owned camps and property.

Eamonn

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

" Any flavor that the beer would have imparted to the meat will be in it and the rule will still not have been violated."

I don't know about that. The alcohol has seeped into the meat and could be sucked out by a really desperate Scout.

Place it in a nontoxic container and cover it with the beer.

Eamonn - I'm dying to know what you deem a "nontoxic container." Do you keep toxic containers in your kitchen? (This message has been edited by a staff member.)

I don't care what you marinade it in, bear should not be used in cooking, whether at a scout camp or in your cabin. Too grizzly and gamey. Black or brown, its just smokie to me. Some might have a polar opinion, but I'm not about to panda to them.

acco40

No I don't!!

However some people have been known to use galvanized metal containers that can be harmful.

Care should be taken with worn enameled (Chipped) pans, some of these that come from Asia use metals that are harmful when the enamel isn't covering metal.

At home when I cook Corned beef I as a rule don't do very much while boiling it, but when it's cooked do glaze it with a honey, mustard and brown sugar glaze. - This could be done is a DO.

When I first joined this forum there was at that time a very long thread about cooking wine. A lot of the points that have come up in this thread were brought up then.

I enjoy adult beverages.

There are some really good American beers.

Last Monday was Saint Patrick's Day. Her Who Must Be Obeyed and myself, drove into Pittsburgh to the Mellon Arena to see Celtic Woman.

The cost of a domestic draft beer was $8.75, so we settled for a couple of bottles of domestic bottled water at only $3.00 each. - Spending $6.00 on water hurt!!

Eamonn.