Camping Activities for Cub Scouts

rjscout,

We've done it at a few campouts. Usually after dinner and before the evening activities start. The Cubs were suprisingly attentive and respectful. I think it is because they were truely interested in what was happening. We also presented it as a very formal ceremony, which helped. We only cut the flag into sections if it is VERY large. For some reason, I personally don't like the idea of cutting up a flag even though there is nothing technically wrong with that.

As for the lamp oil, we make sure to prepare it out of sight of any Scouts. The guide to safe scouting is correct, but nessecity sometimes has to rule (did I say that? shhhhh)...the goal is to have a small fire that can consume the flag and burn out on it's own in a short time. We use nothing but kindling for the fire (which has a small amount of oil poured on it prior to lighting) or you will be standing fire watch for the next couple of hours. If you use your main campfire, out of respect nothing else should be done over/at it, so that ends the evening there. Hence our choice of a seperate fire at location slightly away from the main campfire. The new lightweight steel firepits are perfect for this. Unfortunatly with some modern flag materials and sizes, they are more likely to smother the fire than burn...something that you don't want to happen. The purpose of lamp oil is to keep a good fire burning for about 10-15 minutes. Lamp oil is much safer than gas, white gas, etc. You will notice that alot of print suggests pre-soaking the flag in a fuel. I prefer to have a good fire over this. Another option for you may be 2-3 of the smaller compressed wood fire startes for your fire.

As for results with flag materials...

Cotton - the best. It burns well, but at a controlled rate. Getting rare. Only seen in indoor use flags anymore.

Nylon - the most common. Be careful when burning because it melts and can burn quickly. Gives off harmful gasses so stay out of smoke. Make take a little longer for fire to go out and might be left with some lumps at end.

Polyester - fairly common. Also melts as it burns. May give off some harmful gasses.

• 4 weeks later...

Well here are some of the tings that we are planning on doing

Meet at 0800 at our charter place. Be at the campsite by 0900

Unload and set up

Eat Lunch, move to afternoon activities, 2 groups, (Hike and nature center tour)

Flag Football

Dinner

Fishing

Campfire if no Burn Ban

Bed time no later than 9:00 for the Tigers and Wolf

Sunday

Breakfast

Conservation Project, (Clean up around the lake, for letting us stay there free of charge)

Break camp and leave after lunch