Survival Campout Meal Ideas

We do an annual survival campout. We''ve done various things in the past to challenge them in the various aspects of survival - shelter building, signaling, rescue, and cooking. For cooking, we''re looking for some new ideas this year. In the past we''ve done things like cooked in an orange peel, boiled water in a paper cup, etc. Does anyone have any good ideas out there? I know you do.

Incidentally, how we usually do this is that we provide each patrol with a set of materials - and no instructions. They have to figure out how they can make a meal out of it. It''s pretty entertaining.

Off the top of my pin head...

Lets start with fire/charcoal cooking:

I am assuming you don''t want to deal with finding stuff in nature to cook...greens, roots, acorns, bugs...you''re just interested in novel ways to cook regular food?

whole fish, cooked on a spit/head down over coals...

cornish hens ( representing pigeon/dove/grouse ''snared'' by the survivor)- smoked/baked -done on a tripod with a foil

"cone"...or better a "wicker" cone covered with wet leaves or grasses (requires ability to cut saplings and thin branches...not a LNT type event...)

chicken or pork cooked in a hot rock pit...need really good bed of coals, big rocks and wet leaves....

egg/bacon roasted on a twig spit...

smoked meat-(all most anything) requires a small sapling rack be built above a smokey fire (charcoal)

- eggs fried on a rock- be carefull of the rocks you use...some crack when heated with a great deal of force!

-bread "baked" in ashes (ash cakes)

-bread on a stick

- eggs and bacon in a paper bag (real gimmick cooking)

build large reflector and bake meat or fish in the sun...takes forever...but can be done.

Then how ''bout cooking on the manifold of your truck...foil meals...requires hot engines or short trips...always funny...

fire or charcoal is best if you are stuck with stoves...you need some type of "pot" (cup -orange peel...etc.)and you risk screwing up your stove...

but you can cook a lot in zip locks and boiling water...eggs, oatmeal, some meats...even ramen noodles...

lets see what other have to say while I have a cup of joe and think on it more....

Anarchist

We try and introduce a little competitive spirit. For the wilderness survival campout each boy brings his own food with minimum calorie and hot meal requirements. Then they vote on who''s food they would rather had winner and second place get a prize. On Sunday AM they do the egg biscuit and orange thing that OA has made famous.

a lot of meat such as hamburger, bacon, steak (ok through it in for the leaders), pork chops could be cooked on a flat clean rock.

You can also cook bacon and eggs in a paper bag ...

Try roasting a ham in a melon (see thread a few days ago on this)

make a solar oven to cook in

hot dogs on a stick over a fire

cook on the Sterno thingys but supervision and being careful is important

come up with things that dont have to be cooked

also make sure you teach them about 10 essentials and "extra food" means food beyond what your menu already calls for ...

Hope my wacky 2 cents and now hungry tummy was of some help...

Scott Robertson

http://insanescouter.org