how to get kids interested in hiking and backpacking?

Our guys like a lot of variety in their activities and the activity drives the type of campout. However, what they've decided to do in recent years (e.g., float trips, short horseback rides, etc.) tend to not require backpacking or primitive camping. Next summer the older boys are going on a Philmont trek so this presented us adult leaders with an opportunity to "advise" them during their annual program planning conference. They were looking for opportunities to practice backpacking but wanted the younger boys to have fun too. They were concerned that this might be too much of a physical challenge for the smaller boys. We reminded them that the climbing/rappeling site and challenge courses they were interested in reserving include primitive camp sites away from the parking lot and camporee fields. It's only a 20 to 30 minute "walk in the woods" to the camp sites so it gives the boys going on the trek a chance to start fleshing out gear and technique, maybe gain some lessons learned that can be applied to their prep plans, while the younger boys can gain a taste of high adventure. Because the distance is relatively short, they can do so without worrying about making a mistake or having a "failure" as some have implied may be the real roadblock to boys wanting to do this kind of activity. Hopefully, this will be an activity they enjoy and will grow upon it next year. I'm kind of hoping they do a day long "walk in the woods" next year. Just choose a trail head, walk in as far as the slowest boy can in a day (no goal on minimum distance, just have fun), camp for the night, and walk out the next morning--anyway, I'll be holding this piece of advice in my hand should the opportunity to play it comes at their planning conference next year.

Anyway, as my exmaple implies, my suggestion is to not so much try to drum up interest in an activity but to advise the boys on how to put a new twist on the activities they do plan to keep them fresh. Get the foot in the door and start small. If they like it, they will build upon it. If not, it's not the end of the world.(This message has been edited by MarkS)

I always get "Man Vs Wild" and Surviorman confused, but I do know the boys love talking about the show. Work some of the stunts they do. No food unless the catch it on their own. (most likely limited to fish)Or they have to, as a patrol (team) accomplish something like Survivor on network TV, to get food. I never thought kids would flock to book stores to read books, but Harry Potter proved me wrong, kids can be touched, we have to figure the key.

I enjoy hiking and backpacking.

Over the years I have spent a small fortune on equipment that rarely gets used.

Still, while I know my glory days are gone!! (I hiked the Pennine Way all 270 miles back when I was a Venture Scout in the UK.)

When OJ was a little fellow I had hoped that the day would come when the two of us would go off hiking together.

Boy was I wrong!!

He hates to hike. - He doesn't even like taking the dog for a walk.

He sees hiking as a waste of time. He finds nothing enjoyable about it.

I kinda think if someone had tried to make him like it or force it on him, he would have said "Thanks! But NO THANKS"

Some groups do seem to attract Scouts who like to hike and enjoy the challenge, while other groups just don't.

I think we have room for both groups and trying to push an activity that they just don't like is a bit silly.

Eamonn.

I think the key to getting Scouts interested in hiking and backpacking is through presentations and personal testimonials of other Scouts who do this on a regular basis. Our Venture patrol has backpacked Philmont, Grand Canyon, Yellowstone and Grand Teton National Parks, parts of the Appalachian Trail, and Denali National Park to name just a few. These destinations are loaded with natural, breath-taking beauty, and our backpacking trips are also planned with plenty of side-trips along the way and back home so that the boys aren''t hiking all the time. Check out our website below for some photographs of some of our high-adventure trips. If you send me a PM, I can send you more great photos for a presentation to your Troop.

http://www.troop325bsa.com

• 2 weeks later...

In the past our troop kept putting on suburban type activities on teh calendar, stuff like indoor climbing walls, fencing, bowling etc. Sometimes tehy wanted caving or white water day trips with guided tours, but other than Klondike, camporree or summer camp, no camping and only occasional hiking. Many of these city type activities got cancelled due to too few scouts signing up or not enough adult drivers or teh cost per attenddee was too high. The shame of it is, we are in the rocky mountaisn and have all kinds of hiking and camping opportunities where we live. With an influx of new scouts we have converted to outdoor experience and have taken teh stance that suburban or city type activities can be arranges as family-non scout evvents. No scout money can be used and no scouters will organize it or manage it. We had too many activities that took the time of adult volunteers to get organized, be cancelled and the hours of organization work was all for nothing.

We mostly car camp but that is better than bowling or other such nonsense, but we have taken a couple ambsitious hikes and we will start working backpacking in next spring.

Good for you, highcountry.

Left to their own devices, kids will stay in their comfort zone, eh? Why take a risk with something you might not like (or worse, might not be good at and look bad in front of your friends)?

So yeh got to get them out.

One good way to help break down the barriers is to introduce things during "regular" trips. On a car camping trip, take a small group off "backpacking" to a slightly cooler site. Bring a kayak on canoe trips and let the boys try it, show ''em some moves, etc. Take a few gym climbers to a local real-rock craig. Take your PLC boys for TLT somewhere that they do a cool new activity.

I bet they talk about it, I bet it improves their confidence, and I bet it will show up on the calendar for the troop at some point.

Beavah

Our troop PLC has wanted to go on the AT for a while. After highjacking the PLC plan, the SM adn CC got 14 boys to raise their hand to go backpacking on the AT. Only 4 went and 3 adults. Of the 7 of us, 6 got bee stings, and one had a tough time carrying his load (Packsaddle knows the youngster) but we all had a good time. My son got 2 stings and got a deep cut on his knee trying to avoid more bees. He can''t wait to go again.

The Patrol Leaders Parents Council is planning to skip the winter camp-o-ree and go back to the AT.

Bottom line - just take ''em.