Backpacking in So. Ky and No. Al. ?

Not sure where you are in Middle Tennessee, so my suggestions might be a bit out of range, or you may already know about these:

Big South Fork - lots of trails and great side trips. Deciding where to go first is tough.

Shiloh National Military Park - Corinth to Shiloh Trek is 21 miles over two days. Multiple hikes in the park up to, I believe, 14 miles. In-park hikes are not backpacking trips, however.

Shawnee National Forest (Southern IL) - A section of the River-to-River Trail, Garden of the Gods, or some of the other state parks, natural areas, etc. Another place that's tough to decide where to start. Some areas will have hunters, others will not.

Mousetail S.P. in West Tennessee - 8 miles, maybe? Not my favorite, but it's an option.

Trail of Tears follows the Shawnee River to River, but also has a section or sections in Kentucky. I don't know much about this one personally, but it might be worth investigating.

If you don't consider it too much of a hijacking of your thread, what's good to hike in Middle Tennessee these days? I grew up around Nashville, but I've been West of the Tennessee River for about 15 years now.

• 6 months later...