Returned from the Rocky Mountains National Park on Sunday. It was a really good High Adventure trip. I believe the scouts will remember this trip for a long time, as will I. It was much harder than the 50 miler through Double H and much harder than the 78 miles through Philmont.

BUT my sons turned 18 on the trail last week! I no longer have a Boy in Scouting! Oh My, I feel ... I do not know how I feel! It has been a great 10 years in scouting with my son. My how he has grown!

To use Barry's line

I LOVE this scouting stuff!

We climbed over Flat Top Mountain twice.

We left on the North Inlet Trail Head and returned on the Green Mountain Trail Head.

We hiked 48 miles in 5 days. Caught around 50 trout in the little time we had to fly fish.

Not sure why this ended up on the High Adventure forum? But anyway, I will try to get some pics up of this trip.

That is great., Dan ! That is what Scouting is all about. We need your type of leadership in Scouting of today, but unfortunately 80% are not having this, and that is the reason ?. it seems to me Scouting in USA, is not flurishing, sorry to say. It seems to me, there are only a few of you left...a dying out generation. The National, Regional and the local councils have not even realized this problem. They have set this ( business adminstrative instuctional agenda ) at (Fast track/basic training/ woodbadge ) training courses wich is outdated and mostly useless .( Who, cares about sex abuse ? every one knows it, and it did not stop it ) Therefore new inexperienced leaders are not able to run their units successfuly,or properly . Let me get the heck out, and run ,,,I am going to write a book soon ! (ha,ha) jambo

WOW!

The troop I am with, thinks that high adventures is the key in keeping the older youth engaged. The troop had been doing at least 2 high adventures for the last 5 years, before that it was usually one a year. This most likely was my last one, at 52 I think I maybe done hiking. Unless they need an adult for an easy trek at Philmont or Double H.

BUT I do not agree with most of your other ideas in your post. I am not sure if scouting is shrinking or not, until they clean up all of the ghost units, I do not believe anyone will know the true answer to the that question, and it will take a few years after they get them all cleaned up before anyone will really know which way the numbers are going.

I have been a SM for NYLT for 3 years, I do it because I believe in it along with Wood Badge.

And I really think that Youth protection is good training that has done lots of good over the years, along with a time to tell, I know that is the old youth training, but I cannot remember what the new one is called.

Not everyone knows about abuse and how to spot it, I learned from Youth protection as I am sure many others have.(This message has been edited by dan)

Dan, I respect your opinion on not agreeing with me,!!! but I am guessing,I am much older then you. I am only now active with the Troop on consulting basis. And,I try to give suggestions, but mostly , I stay out of the way. I do occasionaly conduct First Aid Merit badge course, Electronis and etc. But, having the experience of running a very successful troop, it hurts me to see the softening,and twindelling of Scouting in USA. Until , my good Lord will permit to live a bid longer ? I will try to contribute some of my elderly wisdom to this Scouter Forum. Keep on Scouting. Jambo