Traveling By Hired Bus

Our summer camp is approximately 600 miles from our meeting house. There was another troop in our council going to the the same camp on the same week as our troop. One of our committee members contacted their SM and suggested we hire a bus. The other SM was all for this and the two troop sizes worked out great for a 50 seat bus. The cost came to about $115 per seat round trip. About twice the cost for personal vehical transportation. This got us a professional motorcoach that could hold all our gear (read no tariler) with a driver. Many on the committee were all for it. But our SM was completely opposed. Even though at the time we only had three drivers and were looking at renting a panel van. He came up with all sorts of reasons why a bus would be a bad idea.

First he said he wanted to stop and overnight at a special place. No problem the other troop was planning on the same stop.

Next he said at camp we may have to drive the boys to a meeting place. No, was the answer from summer camp director.

We may want to take the kids to town for laundry. Use the bus or use the laundry on site we told him.

Then he said he didn't want to be trapped at camp during the day. Your going to leave our boys?

Next he said he may need to take a kid to the hospital. Use an ambalance we suggested or find another scout troop leaders with car. These guys are typically a helpful bunch especially when a scout is in need.

Its cheaper. Ok but our kids will all be together and there is a bathroom on the bus.

Many thought that the bus experience would add to the overall experience. The SM thought otherwise.

What is your experience with hired buses for scout transportation?

(This message has been edited by Its Me)

First off, let me say that I have never used a hired bus for a Boy Scout trip. I looked into it once, but (for that trip) it would have cost about 10x more than traveling in private vehicles, so obviously we didn't do that.

Anyway, if it were not to cost more than going by car, I would say take the bus. A Scout is thrifty.

Although we've never done it, we've considered it. The advantage of hiring a bus grows with distance, especially when some intangibles are considered as well. The actual cost to personal vehicles is greater than fuel, somewhere in the range of $0.50 per mile by now. The increased risk of accident with personal vehicles and the decreased liability offered by hiring a professional are both difficult to quantify but they are real. Then there is the peace of mind knowing that if you nod off during the drive, the REAL driver is doing it for you. You arrive with less fatigue and less sleep deprivation (maybe, LOL). But as mentioned, for shorter trips, the bus is just too expensive.

We chartered two buses to take our Pack from Atlanta to Charleston for a weekend aboard the Yorktown. This is a 6 hour trip. Units are supposed to all check in together, so the buses helped us get everyone arrive at the same time.

Our experience was very positive. The boys got to hang out with their friends on the trip, the adults got to sit back and relax, and we played a few movies over their multi-screen system. I took ropes and worked with some of the boys on knots.

You don't get a lot of sleep aboard the Yorktown, so there were a lot of dads taking naps on the way back. I felt it was a lot safer traveling by bus, with most of us being sleep-deprived.

If everyone wants to go by bus except for the SM, let him take his own car and the rest take the bus.

I didn't go, but our troop hired a bus when they went to Yellowstone (2 1/2 days of driving) a couple of years ago. For us it was cheaper than driving or flying. We did have a couple of leaders who drove separately though.

Unless there are some personality issues and he can't stand the other SM or he's afraid of being shown up by the other troop's leaders or something, it sounds to me like your SM's real problem is being trapped. He wants to have his car "in case." And by the way, on long trips, it may not be a bad thing for leaders to have a little bit of a break. Going into town one afternoon and not being in charge of a whole troop of boys for a few hours might be the thing he needs to maintain his sanity for the rest of the week at camp. I know that I'd feel that way.

So acknowledge this, give the SM room to feel ok (not guilty) about it, and see if you can bring him around by offering that he would drive separately while the rest of the troop takes the bus. He can be your advance man.

Several years ago, our PLC voted to attend an out-of-council camp several states away. It was to be a lonnng trip driving, so the adults looked into a charter bus. As I recall, it was about double the cost of gassing private vehicles, but we went with the charter for safety reasons and to simplify the logistics. The fellows loved it! It was an adventure for them. We watched videos, ate snacks, played cards, and slept. And I was very glad not to have to drive that distance. That was the last time we've traveled out of state (but then, where we are, we can drive 5 hours in any direction and still be in Texas!) but I think we would consider chartering a bus again for the right trip.

Our council Philmont contingents travel by bus. Four busses every year. They have it down to a science.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Pack378 - Great point, solves everyone's problems. My troop has taken a bus up to camp for the past couple years, and its been very successful. Especially nice on the ride home, when everyone would just rather sleep than focus on driving on rural roads for 6 hours. We did have some of the concerns that the SM in question had, involving being able to make trips in to town when necessary (we probably had to send someone in 2 or 3 times during the week), taking people to the hospital (we actually had to take an adult leader in for some kind of infection. Didn't really need an ambulance). We also felt safer hauling our trailer with gear up there. Overall, it was a great idea, a little bit pricey, but the scouts make up for it with fundraising.

Lessee now...

600 miles, say,12 plus hours driving (breaks for lunch, potty, sightsee)

40 plus Scouts/Scouters, mebbe 10 cars, (okay, 8. Minivans. ) Gear on roofs, under seats, in trunks, one adult driver per car, driving the whole way BOTH ways. Can't convoy, must plan on meeting up periodically or just meeting at the camp at the end. Cell phones, walky talkys?

Federal Mileage allowance in 2005 was $0.48 1/2 per mile (make it realistically $.75/mile. (Not everyone drives a Prius). Including gas+oil+insurance+depreciation+amortization+tolls+wear&tear. 600x.75= $450. per car. 4 or 5 people per car? 6? 7? tight.

Bus driver is pro. Likes what he/she does. Will go, stop, adjust the trip as you wish. Bus is spacious. Potty on board. TV for watching "Follow Me Boys". Cushy seats. Big windows. Gear stowed in the bottom hold. Lead songs. Sell snacks and drinks. Play cards. Boys ride in something other than the family Taurus. Write SM memoirs. "The wheels on the bus go round and round..." Somebody else cleans the bus at the end. Don't see any down side.

I think at $120. a piece is very reasonable for peace of mind, sleep deprivation recovery, Troop/Scout socializing, econonmy (8 or ten cars off the road), even at the bus' 5 or 6 miles per gallon of diesel. Mebbe the driver is a Scout and can stay over?

I had a friend at work who REFUSED to ride in any car unless SHE drove. Many a time she drove by herself to many activities. She was a safe, courteous driver, friendly and helpful, and we rode readily with her, but she-would-not-ride with anyone else. One smiles and makes allowances.

The SM can drive himself, some one might go with him to keep him company, and yeah, he could be the advance man.

Yer either on the bus or off the bus... (was Tom Wolfe a Scout?)