For the second weekend of woodbadge we have to simulate backcountry camping. No ice chests etc...Anyway can we precook pancakes, refrigerate them and then pack them on friday morning and they still be edible on Saturday morning. We would reheat them at the camp. Would we need to freeze them maybe. Someone thought they would spoil by then because they would be made with eggs and milk. I was thinking they would be okay. We leave cakes out. But don't want to kill anyone. At least anyone in the fox patrol. Now those bears are getting on my nerves but.....

thanks

lynn, I used to be a fox....

I have to admit that I very surprised when you said this was part of a Wood Badge course!! It is a very long way from the syllabus.

The pancakes should be fine as long as you cook them throughly to start with.

The danger-zone is in the reheating they need to be brought up to a tempreture of above 165 degrees for about 3 minutes.

You could also use pasteurized eggs when you make the pancakes.

You might want to visit:

http://www.aeb.org/safety/egg_handling_and_care_guide.html

Eamonn.

If I remember right, the second weekend of Wood Badge should be a leave no trace campsite, not backcountry camping. This would mean using stoves and equipment that blend into the area. Backpacking stoves would be alright. You can still cook your meals, the idea is not to bring in the Troop Trailer with the kitchen attached.

Dancin

Thanks for the replies. We put one of the guys in charge of Sat breakfast. I have Sat lunch. Anyway he was wanting to do pancakes but did not want to cook them there. Do not know why.

We are doing the leave no trace. They also said we have to backpack all our stuff to our campsite. They eluded that it was not that far away and that somepeople have even strapped their 2 burner colemans to the backpacks. We can bring an icechest but they really discourage that as they want us to think about how we would do leave no trace on a backpacking trip. It is not mandatory tho. As a cub leader we will have the icechest but I do appreciate doing this as a training exercise. Plus its fun.

I'm thinking of doing somekind of stuffed potatoe thing with instant potatoes. Anyway looking forward to it.

Thanks for the replies. He has decided to do something else. By the way we put him in charge of breakfast cause if it was up to me we would eat poptarts and he was appalled that you would eat poptarts without toasting them....lol.

lynn

AARRGGHHH! AAARRGGHHH!

pop tarts??? good heavens and they say guys are bad!

What's wrong with real eggs and real pancakes and real sausage?... over a back pack stove or an LNT fire????

sounds like you guys are being a leeetle laaazzzzy!?!

Life should be a hoot not a snore!

Challenge and grow... not coast and dose...

AIM HIGH AND IMPRESS YOURSELF!

Yeah, what anarchist said! We had one patrol do steaks and potatoes over their backpacking stoves (I think they cheated a little bit and pre-baked their potatoes) for dinner. We did a chicken and noodle casserole along with a beef something (memory fades) that was really good. Biscuits on the side but baked on-site. We needed something fast because we were still putting our patrol presentation together:

I'm grateful you're not a Bear. A Bear would want fresh pancakes, not some tired, precooked Frisbee wannabes.

The Bear patrol on WE3-41-03 dined on sourdough pancakes, real maple syrup, eggs to order and sausages. All done on backpack stoves.

(I kept the sourdough starter in a small Nalgene.)

DON'T PRECOOK! We'd never allow the boys to do that, so we shouldn't.

It amazes me what Scouts will do if you don't watch them!

At out monthly campout this last weekend, all patrols were to cook supper with Dutch Ovens. One partol brought precooked chicken patties and were "Cooking" them in the Dutch oven! Surprising how many were up at the "Old Goat" Patrol later trying to beg some of our cabbage and saugages and chili made from scratch followed by two different cobblers!

It's policy that breakfast's are cooked. Imagine my surprise when wandering through camp after my eggs, bacon and blueberry flapjacks to see a patrol "cooking" pop tarts in a frying pan!

"Proper" cooking was discussed at the Troop Meeting last night!

And back to the original post: no ice chests?

Sure, we "packed in" (about 200 yards from our cars), but the Staff provided ice for coolers twice a day. The "Backpacking" is just an exercise to demonstrate the principles; no need to be anal about it! (after I "Backpacked" my stuff in, went back to my truck and carried my cot in!)

My two cents, etc!(This message has been edited by Aardvark)

How dare you all say disparaging remarks about the American breakfast icon known as POPTART.

Seriously, there is nothing wrong with eating poptarts for breakfast while camping. There is no prep or cleanup and it gets you back on the trail faster. Now don't get me wrong I have my shave of cast iron cookware in my camping bins, but traveling light has some distinct advantages. At woodbadge we were supposed to be pretending to be back packing anyway so food choices could have been geared that way. I will confess that three coolers and a fully loaded 8'x10' trailer brought to our campsite for six woodbadgers indicated otherwise.

My kids are young, all three are under the age of 12. So I can't compare directly to the older youths of 16-17. But my kids are far less food snobbish than I am. The cubs I am around could eat cold cereal fro dinner and consider it a treat.

So for Poptart lovers everywhere viva-le instant pastry!

the staff told us they would not supply ice. Discouraged us from bringing ice chests but said we could if we just could not live without them. They also said if we had a huge heavy tent they would haul that to the campsight along with cots.

Looking forward to my next weekend. Off to go shopping today. Thinking stuffed potatoes and for dessert rice krispie bars. I know, I know, I'll premake the rice krispie bars but I love them so. Plus if the guys pick oatmeal, grits or some such mush I can eat them for breakfast.

lynn

YOu can do sausage without having to have an ice chest. Freeze it before you leave.

We just finished our March camp out. The Wise Ole Owls (adult patrol) decided I was going to be quartermaster every campout.

Quick saugage gravy. Cook sausage. Add flour to the cooked sausage and stir in. Add milk to make gravy. You can use powedered or canned milk.

You can also add hashbrowns to the mix.

Lynda, for a thicker gravy, slightly richer taste with less likelihood of clumping use Bisquick. I don't quite like my gravy as thick as wallpaper paste, but close! Also, if you use regular milk (just in case you haven't made gravy before) get it out of the cooler and let it warm up a bit before you use it - that will also help reduce clumps.

Vicki

oh gag me with a pitch fork. (how do you do those smiley face things) my father jokes that I was switched at birth I cannot stand gravy. You are wasting perfectly good sausage by drowning it in glue. yuck....Now where did I stash my pop tarts....lol

You guys don't really know me I have a warped sense of humor and I just love all the responses people give. I just had to do this. (still gagging at the thought of sausage gravy) My friends always leave plain sausage out for me before ruining it with the gravy stuff. Arn't they great friends...

Now on another note. We had our patrol meeting last night. For dinner we are having frozen salmon croquettes (somebody wanted to use them up...hehehe) loaded mashed potatoes, corn bread and lemonaide. For dessert rice krispie bars with peanut butter. Yummy. I can eat those for breakfast if you guys cook.....or they do something equally disgusting like oatmeal..gag.

The guys are doing a chicken and stove top thing for lunch and chicken and rice for dinner. Lots of chicken...

We are doing pancakes on Sunday morning the add water kind and cook. Yummy.

thanks. lynn