Any tips on camping in Washington D.C.?

I am on a committee planning a spring (April/May) trip to Washington D.C. for our troop and the parents. Any suggestions on inexpensive camping? A location convenient to the rail commuter line would be preferred. We are located about five hours from Washinton. Thanks.

I just planned a trip to DC form my troop this past April. Greenbelt worked out nicely for us. They have a Boy Scout Rate of $2 per boy, per night. The park is a short drive to a Metro Station, which you can take into DC. I advise you to get a day pass ($6 per person) unless you are going in early (day pass doesn't work until 10:00AM). If you need any more help feel free to PM me.

There may be a Metrobus route that goes by the park entrance that can also take you to the Metro. But in the interest of saving time, driving to the Metro is your best bet, especially since parking is free on weekends.

You don't say from which direction you're coming from. There are several campgrounds within a 10-15 minute drive from a Metro in Virginia as well.

Pohick Bay Regional Park has a youth group campground with showers and all. (should be www.nvrpa.org/pohick) Used to be the NCAC's (National Capital Area Council) Camp Wilson. They sold Camp Wilson and Camp Roosevelt to buy Goshen (down by Lexington) way back when. (Useless trivia fact of the day for you).

Pohick is about 10-15 minutes from the Springfield Metro, which is the end of the Blue line. Greenbelt NP is in MD, almost the end of the Green Line.

Lake Fairfax Park (Fairfax County Park Authority)is located in Reston, again about 10-15 minutes from the West Falls Church Metro (Orange Line).

It depends on where you're coming from as to the best place to stay. Send me an email if you require any specifics or suggestions.

Gags

CJGags@yahoo

• 1 year later...

FYI -

Not that this will make or break anyone's decision to visit our nation's capital, but the American History museum is now closed for the next 2 years. Some of the displays have been moved to the Air & Space museum.

Don't worry - still plenty of other things to see around here!

Thanks,

Gags

PS - I do not know if the Star Spangled Banner (really one of the few exhibits in the AHM worth seeing, IMO) is going to be on display anywhere else - I wouldn't count on it though.