Tonight we had our second Jamboree Troop meeting. We will be Troop 412. The meeting was a blast, I had a great time and was over the moon when one little fellow on the way out said that this meeting was a lot more fun then the ones that he normally goes too.

We managed to get a ton of work done and out of the way. Including the Troop elections a lot of team development games and we covered dreaded Announcement's. I can't work out why parents ask so many questions? We send out a News letter it went out via E-mail and by the USPS. Everyone knows that the Jamboree web site is up and running and where it is. Still they ask stuff that we have covered.

The more time that I spent with the Scouts that are going the more I enjoy them. They are every bit as cheeky and enthusiastic as I ever was. We only have one Lad who went last time and the group is far younger then last time. But what they lack in experience they make up for with enthusiasm.

My number one ASM. Is a very experienced Scoutmaster, who knows the program and likes the Scouts. He was a participant on a Wood Badge course In 1999 and had me as his Troop Committee member. Number two ASM, needs some work. He is a real nice guy. He was a Den Leader just as I was leaving the pack, he went on to become Cubmaster and has moved on into the troop with his two sons. From what he has said the Troop is busy going places and not that busy doing things. He will see that we don't work that way.

The third ASM, is just a super Lad. He was with me last time as a Scout. He is the type of Scout that we all dream of having. Great attention to detail, great sense of fun. He is an Eagle Scout. He is also our Lodge Chief. I feel a little bad that we have elections in October, he is running again for a second term and of course the Lad running against him is OJ, my son!! I am not saying too much. I think that they are both two outstanding Scouts.

One parent offered to take the popcorn sale. One offered to come and demonstrate the fine art of Hand Washing Scout uniforms and another offered to get a Troop web site up and running - Maybe that will help with the parents questions. We handed out the Jamboree Patch which the Scouts thought was "Cool" and informed the parents that the Council has agreed to allow them to buy Scout Stuff at cost. While none of them said that this was cool, they did seem happy.

We are meeting again next week to cover the Jamboree Emergency Preparedness Award, with a chap from the American Red Cross.

I don't get to spend a lot of time working with our Boy Scouts. This is "Real" Scouting. Working with them and getting to know them is worth every cent that I am paying to attend the event.

We had a Jamboree Committee meeting last week and these guys are doing a wonderful job.If I ever go back to a troop I want to kidnap all of them.

From where I stand now, it looks as if we are all going to have the best time ever. I can't wait for us to do the JLT and get these guys working.

Barry You Are So Right.

Eamonn

(This message has been edited by Eamonn)

Eamonn -

I served as Jamboree SM in 1997. I thought it was the most rewarding thing I have ever done in Scouting, and at the same time, one of the most difficult. It was hard taking 36 kids who for the most part don't know each other and turn them into a well-oiled machine in a short period of time. But when it happened and the Jamboree came off very smoothly, it was so inspirational. It also re-envigorated me and forced me to go "back to the basics" of the boy led troop, which has benefitted me and my home troop a lot. I envy you

being Jamboree SM. It's a lot of work, but well worth it. I wish I was doing it again!

DALE