I would like to know what you all use for insect repellant?

I am trying to use mostly the new "botanical" repellants, citronella, etc. DEET is a neurotoxin and I prefer not to use it. But many of the botanical repellants are not all that effective against ticks, chiggers, etc.

I will sometimes spray my boots and lower trouser legs with DEET, and if the bugs are real bad in camp, I will sometimes use a product like Yard Guard with Permethrin in it prior to moving into camp.

I also tend to burn citronella candles or oil in camp if the mosquitoes are bad. Seems to help some. The mosquitoes are bad here already.

Owl,

The skeeters really caught us by surprise while backpacking in E. Texas this weekend. Luckily a few of us had small pump bottles of DEET stashed in packs. I put on windbreaker and pant legs (were zipped off) to minimize DEET required. Wish I had stuffed head mosquito net into pack - only weighs an ounce and would have saved me a lot of DEET on face/neck. Not to mention the skeeters I inhaled...

Folks have talked about using some form of sulfer in an old sock to dust themselves. I forgot the details, but was wishing I had stashed some of that to give it a try.

I've used Permethrin spray (pump bottle from REI) to pre-treat clothes with success. (Follow instructions - do not wear until spray has dried.)

I know it's tempting, but I would avoid using wide-area broadcast sprays.

Citronella -- I'm not a believer.

-mike

I use a headnet when the bugs get bad and DEET on the cuffs of pants and shirts.

In and around camp I use the bug coils.

Couple of years ago I heard rumors of bears being attracted to citonella scent Don't know myself if that is true or not. will keep a eye open for more news on that.

Phil

For those that have concerns related to using DEET as an insect repellant, you may want to review this article published by the New England Journal of Medicine.

http://content.nejm.org/cgi/content/full/347/1/13?hits=10&FIRSTINDEX=0&journalcode=nejm&sortspec=PUBDATE_SORTDATE+desc+Score+desc&searchid=1029161136857_11633&fulltext=DEET&HITS=10&searchid=1080594601041_12404&FIRSTINDEX=0&journalcode=nejm

In this article 16 different commerically available repellants were tested, including those based on various plant extracts, skin so soft, and another chemical based repellant other than DEET.

Among the conclusions in this article:

"Currently available non-DEET repellents do not provide protection for durations similar to those of DEET-based repellents and cannot be relied on to provide prolonged protection in environments where mosquito-borne diseases are a substantial threat. "

and

"Despite the substantial attention paid by the lay press every year to the safety of DEET, this repellent has been subjected to more scientific and toxicologic scrutiny than any other repellent substance. The extensive accumulated toxicologic data on DEET have been reviewed elsewhere.17,35,36,37,38,39 DEET has a remarkable safety profile after 40 years of use and nearly 8 billion human applications.35 Fewer than 50 cases of serious toxic effects have been documented in the medical literature since 1960, and three quarters of them resolved without sequelae.35,37 Many of these cases of toxic effects involved long-term, heavy, frequent, or whole-body application of DEET. No correlation has been found between the concentration of DEET used and the risk of toxic effects. As part of the Reregistration Eligibility Decision on DEET, released in 1998, the Environmental Protection Agency reviewed the accumulated data on the toxicity of DEET and concluded that "normal use of DEET does not present a health concern to the general U.S. population."40 When applied with common sense, DEET-based repellents can be expected to provide a safe as well as a long-lasting repellent effect. Until a better repellent becomes available, DEET-based repellents remain the gold standard of protection under circumstances in which it is crucial to be protected against arthropod bites that might transmit disease. "

I have no special interest in promoting the use of DEET products. I do have an interest in promoting healthy outdoor activity. DEET containing products are among the most effective insect repellants available and when used as directed do not pose a health concern.

Just passing this information on so folks can make their own determinations as to the risks associated with DEET and whether or not they want to use DEET containing products.

SA

the sulfur trick works very well. Have used it here in Missouri

and in Canada.

Going to summer camp, staying away from pop and other sweet stuff

for a time (couple of weeks) you can sit with others and have all

the bugs bite them and have a pleasant time.

Have heard and kinda believe that garlic in your diet can help also

to keep the bugs away.

But there are times you just have to let the bugs have their way and

'enjoy' the great outdoors.

yis

Here is a pretty good website on insect repellents:

www.insect-repellent.net

I remain unconvinced of the overall safety of DEET. I do use it sparingly on the outside of clothing items such as boots, socks, trouser legs, and caps, IF, the bugs are real bad.

I use permethrin on the outside of tents, under the BSA summer camp tent wooden floor platforms, and on the ground around my tent, being careful to spray downwind away from myself and others. But then I leave the area immediately for at least 1 hour. That seems to keep the area bug free for a week or more.

If I must use something on my skin, I prefer citronella or one of the other plant based insect repellents. I have had a lot of luck with these with no apparent side effects.

I have tried one of those little battery operated electronic insect repellers and it seams to work well but for a very small area - I usually clip it to my cap or to my shirt collar. The only problem with it is the high frequency sound it gives out is irritating.