Getting Back On The Trail - Well Maybe??

I was unsure if this should go here or in Venturing. But It is here, so...

First here is the idea.

We as a district now have six crews and plans for at least three more within the coming months. With the exception of one all these crews are chartered by the same organizations that charter troops. Most are small and sad to say are not doing very much. All these crews think that they are high adventure. I say think because I don't think anyone ever took the time to ask them what they wanted to do and so far there has been such little activity that there is no evidence of any adventure let alone high adventure.

I with the approval of the District Committee have send a letter to each crew and each member asking them to attend the next Round Table. Where I will meet with them away from everyone else.

My letter stated that as a District we did not in any way want to interfere with their unit program but did want to see what we could do to help them in any which way.

At the last District Committee meeting I asked the Activity chair to plan and book something. I didn't care what as long as it was fun and was booked. He talked about renting the local swimming pool. I went as far as to offer to pay for it. I desperately want these guys as yet we only have one girl, to do something and do it ASAP. I asked the Assistant District Commissioner Venture ring to ask each unit to come up with an activity that they could / would /might invite all the other Crews to attend. Again I said that I didn't care what it was. He has a Crew that does a lot of shooting stuff so he could start with that. Just so it didn't look like I was doing nothing I said that I would look into a couple of indoor challenges that I would present to them. I wouldn't organize them just plant ideas and see if they grew. I would also present some ideas of Super Activities for 2006. Again just ideas that could or might work if they decided to run with them. My list which I know is mine at this stage is open to be discarded, changed or worked I have no feelings about it one way or the other. The main reason for it is to get them thinking of what can be done.

The list has Seabase, Kandersteg, London and Canada on it.

I am open to ideas, critasiums and comments.

Now to the Camping and High Adventure.

I am giving a lot of thought to doing some back packing, either with my son and a few of his pals not as a Scouting activity, even though most of his pals and the pals that would go would be members of the BSA. I would make it very clear that it would not be a Scouting / Venturing activity.Or if I can find an other adult we might offer to take a small group of Lads with us or them take us??

I have over the past few months bought some light weight tents (two man Eurekas) I have a few light weight sleeping bags. A new internal frame pack. Boots that I have broken in all sorts of gortex rain gear and I am looking at stoves and cooking gear. I am a little unsure about the stoves and need any help that you can offer. At this time I'm looking at maybe a MSR International stove along with maybe a Coleman multi fuel.

While I am not yet over the hill I am no longer a spring chicken. I hope that by maybe doing a couple of not overly strenuous hikes I will have a good time and maybe open the door to this activity to the Lads who come along.

What other things do I need to be thinking of??

I have a lot of everyday car camping stuff along with a fair amount of scout stuff: Compasses and that sort of thing.

I don't want to take this up as a new career, just something to do a few times a year when it is not cold. - I don't like the cold.

Eamonn

Eamonn,

Just some advice about stoves. Unless you are going out of this country, Canada or Europe you don't need to get the multi fuel stoves. White gas or Coleman fuel is available all over. The cost goes up. I like MSR and have two older Whisper lites. Maybe it's because we were getting them reconditioned from MSR (they are headquartered in Seattle). Here is REI site on how to chose a stove: http://www.rei.com/online/store/LearnShareDetailArticlesList?categoryId=Camping&url=rei/learn/camp/bkstove3f.jsp

Another thing that as my older bones need is a sleeping pad. I go nowhere without my Therma-rest. Here is REI site on sleeping pads:

http://www.rei.com/online/store/LearnShareDetailArticlesList?categoryId=Camping&url=/rei/learn/camp/slpadf.jsp

I have done 50 miles on Mt Rainer when I was 15 to 50 miles in the North Cascade in my forties and many in-between. Im planning on head one or the other this summer to test out my leg that both bones were broken by a car hitting the my car door and pinning my legs between the body of the car and door. The Scout troop of my youth and the troop I was scoutmaster in for ten years did a high adventure trek every year. Last year they went over the Chilkoot Trail in Southeastern Alaska.

My Units Commissioner is still hiking along with the troop on the week long treks and hes in 70s.

I have no idea how old your bones are but in addition to NWScouter's advice, I would add that food and water are also very important. Today's backpacking food is much better than it used to be and there is a tremendous variety for choice. I take a filtration unit for my water as I don't like the chemical disinfectants.

Also, importantly, take it easy on weight, length, and intensity for the first few trips. And make sure that you're in great shape before taking on a 50-miler or similar tough slog. Get to like the activity before you let it challenge you. And most importantly, have fun. Don't try to set some speed record, just enjoy the journey and everything you experience on the way.

Edited part: I just noticed you are in PA. You probably won't enjoy it that much during the heat of the summer either. I much prefer cool weather in the fall or spring because of thermoregulation concerns, not to mention water loss. Also, during or after leaf fall or in the spring just as buds are opening allow the best views through the forest.(This message has been edited by packsaddle)

Here is some REI advice on picking water purification systems:

http://www.rei.com/online/store/LearnShareDetailArticlesList?categoryId=Camping&url=rei/learn/camp/filter3f.jsp

Gone are the days when I was a Scout, we would have our cup clipped to our belt and at every stream we would drink our fill. Now you need to purify the water no matter how it clean it looks.

For Venturing Activities --

You maybe having the same problem we are having out here. We have 3 Venturing Crews and 1 Ship. My Venturing Crew started 1997 as an Explorer Post. So we have pretty much trained leaders in our Crew. The other Crews started in 2001 and the Ship started up this year.

This is my observation only so it may not mean anything. Anyway, I have tried to bring the units together for a Venturing Only Activity within our District for a couple of years now. It is not easy.

3 years ago, my crew hosted a Scout Camporee. They planned, coordinated, and directed the camp. I was the logistics guy. The theme was Orienteering. They planned a series of compass and map reading classes in the morning, after flag raising. In the afternoon, they planned a 3 level orienteering contest for Venturing, Scouts,and Webelos. The Crew's Leadership were getting compliments from parents, Scouters, and Youth members from the other units.

What happened the next day, I'll never forget. A Venturing Advisor from another unit got up in front of the assembled District after flag raising, and complimented my crew for a job well done. I thought, that's good. What he said next was what actually killed the moment. He told the other Crews assembled that they should strive to be like Crew 26. What's wrong with that you may think?

Nothing, if you're an Adult Scouter or parent. But if you're a teenager, Alot comes out of that "Encouragement". Some Venturers took the message for what it was and others were offended, especially the members of that Advisor's Crew.

Here are some rules that I've learned.

1. Teenagers, no matter what organization, don't like to be compared to other teenagers. They hear it from their parents 24/7. They don't want to hear it from you.

2. Teenagers are territorial and fiercely loyal. They don't care what goes on in other crews or groups. They expect their leaders to do the same.

3. They want someone to listen to them, not talk to them or tell them what to do.

4. They want their leaders to be fair and just. Anything else, they could find in the streets.

Now with that said. Getting your District Venturing Program going is half way there.

Next, you have to approach "Their Leader", not the Advisor. I would suggest that you let the advisor know what's going on before hand. Then stop by the Crew meeting place and ask to speak to the Crew President away from the other members but within eye sight of them. Let the President know that the District has this idea and what he/she thinks about it and if his/her crew would like to get involved. Get thier input on what they expect to see and do at the event. Do this with the other Crew Presidents. (Rule 2and 3)

Make it Competitive with a rotating trophy. The rotating trophy will bring them back year after year. Use different events to try to equalize the playing field. During the awards, don't compare the crews. Just congratulate them for doing a job well done. (Rule 1,2, and 4)

I would suggest that your district gets a Venturing RT Commissioner, if they don't already have one. Make sure that the Crew Presidents are invited to RT to get their inputs.

Disclaimer: The above suggestions may or may not work for your district. but have fun using it.

Matua

Thanks for the input.

I do have a new Therm-rest pad. Got on sale at Gander Mountain. 25% off plus they give Scouts 10% for camping gear.

Back home I used to use Primus Stoves a lot. I liked them a lot. We used to give the Scouts Camping Gaz stoves but they were hard on fuel and disposal of the fuel containers was a problem at times. Good thing was you could buy them almost anywhere in Europe.

I never gave Hiking Poles a thought. When I was a Scout we used to have Scout Staves. These were a pain. But now these old knees are just that - Old!!

As to the Venturing thing.

I have invited everyone to the meeting. I really don't know how well organized all the crews are. The Crew that OJ is in seems to spent more time electing officers who don't get much done.

I do like the list that Matua has given us. It is covered in some of the training's but it never hurts to have a refresher.

The meeting is tomorrow so I will let you know how it goes.

Sad thing is that I met a friend in the street who has a Lad in a Crew, he informed me that the Lad is quiting. This Lad is very artistic, very musical (He even sings along with me in my car to my stuff.) He is a bit of a "Rebel." But a real nice Lad. I hate to lose him. In fact I will do all that I can to get him back. I'm thinking that the time for a crew that has Music as the area of interest is the way to go.

Eamonn

I don't spend a lot of time watching TV. There used to be a silly "Blow'em up show" The A Team. Every week the team leader would say "I love it when a plan comes together."

Imagine my surprise when I arrive at the school 15 minutes early and have a hard time finding a parking place. I wish I could say it was thanks to my Venturing meeting but the truth is that Youth Protection is a bigger draw then I. (And rightly so!) My hat is off to the Commissioner staff and the Training Team. I have never seen such a large turn out for a round table meeting. It was standing room only.

I met with the Venturing types in an other room there was 26 of them. Lucky enough I had made meeting notes and knew where I was going and what I wanted. By the time we closed we had decided to hold monthly Venturing Round Tables. Had a volunteer to start a District Venturing Web Page.

Planned a night of swimming and started planning a District Venturing Caving and Repelling weekend. Formed a Committee to look at super activities and as an added bonus got commitments for two new crews. This will mean four new crews by the end of the month. We are looking into a Halloween Dance. I was overjoyed to have got so much done.

After we ended our meeting we went for refreshments, not there was much left. I was a little surprised to see a good friend of mine who serves on the board. We got to chatting and he said that he was thinking of coming to our South Dinner not the North dinner which he has always attended.( The Council has a North and a South dinner) I said for him to let me know as soon as possible in order that I could make sure that he got a ticket. I went on to say how it was a shame that because he was a board member that the District wouldn't get the credit for his ticket. This didn't make him very happy. So he called the Council President on his cell. While I was standing next to him. I gathered that the CP said that I was wrong and that he could direct his donation any which way he wanted.

The Scout Exec is in charge of the North Dinner. We had lunch the other day and he was telling me that he had $40,000.00 in so far. I don't know why but these guys are very touchy about who gets credit for what. When he finished talking to the CP I said that the Scout Exec wasn't going to be happy. He said that if that was the case he would buy a table ($1,200.00) I said well if you want to make him really unhappy add another $300.00 and go to the private reception as well. He wrote me a check made out to the District FOS Campaign.

I know that I am going to catch it from the Scout Exec. But I don't care. Nothing can mar a great night.

Eamonn