Camping in Cold Day

I need advice on how to keep the boys warm when we backpacking this weekend. The weather forecast has it rainy ... possible sleeting/snowing with highs around in the low 40s and lows in the 20s. Got the obvious facts out such as, dress in layers, no cotton, clean outfit before sleep, etc. Anything else that will help in making them comfortable? A little more info ... these are boys who haven't slept outdoor in this kind of weather before. Thanks.

1Hour(This message has been edited by OneHour)

Some suggestions:

Get a decent supply of those disposable hand/foot warmers. They are light and do put out a fair amount of warmth even if they get a little damp.

Keep the scouts moving.

Keep 'em dry as best you can.

Warm soup or hot chocolate is easy to make and warms 'em up quick.

If you are somewhere you can start a fire, keeping a fire going is great.

While frostbite doesn't sound like too much of a concern based on the weather forcast, don't underestimate the possibility of hypothermia. Watch for kids who are shivering. Don't count on the boys to come up to you to tell you they're cold. Some will not want to seem like a wimp if they admit it, so you will need to keep an eye on them.

Cheer up. It's going back below zero around here for the weekend.

SA

"Got the obvious facts out such as, dress in layers, no cotton, clean outfit before sleep, etc"

Those are the basic components of keeping warm. Having a busy agenda that will prevent them from standing around will help their attitudes of where and what weather they are in. A lot of times in the Cold even if you have the right dress, a lot of it is psychological. Have them busy and moving around..just not to the point where they start sweating. The only thing that you didn't mention is besides just layers, wool is my best friend when camping in the snow and cold weather.

When it comes to handwarmers...I try to advise scouts not to use them. It's like when the scouts are all standing around in the cold weather, and they jump in the car to warm up than go back out in the cold..and back in the car to get warm. They need to get used to the temperature and ADAPT to it. Another example, is how when before you go to sleep you shouldn't stand by the fire than run to your tent to go to sleep...you will only be cold when you get there. But if you back away from the fire gradually over 10-15 minutes than go to sleep, the temperature change isn't as drastic.

Hope that helps, goodluck, and tell us how the trip goes!

First four signs of hypothermia are the "umbles"...

stumbles, mumbles, fumbles, and grumbles.

Watch for them in your self and in your scouts. Watch for changes... Happy scout complaining, unclear speach, having trouble zipping up coat, draging feet... all signs that things are going too far and time to take action.

Take the time to read: http://www.princeton.edu/~oa/safety/hypocold.shtml

It's not just the normal high level treatment. Best write up I've ever seen. (give a copy to your SPL too)

Heaps of good stuff so far although I like to use the pocket warmers if for nothing else a placebo effect

In that 20-40 degree area hypothermia can really sneak up on you. This is an area where the buddy system becomes more than just another thing to sign off in the book or to use down at the water front. Make sure the scouts know if they are wondering if they should tell a leader about their buddy its better to tell now and be wrong than to be silent too long and be right.

To encourage them away from the fire stop adding wood to it about an hour or so before lights out.

Get those sleeping bags out and on pads as soon as possible the longer they have to loft up the warmer you'll sleep.

Some more pre-bedding down things I do

Fill my Nalgene bottle with warm water, close tightly, put at the foot of my sleeping bag.

Make the hike to the KYBO and pump bilges.

One last round of the tents/snow caves to check on the scouts and hand out snack sized candy bars (one each) if there wasn't a cracker barrel that night, a bit of sugar to warm up the core.

Camping in winter poses some special challenges and is the fodder for some special memories. One of mine that is always worth a chuckle around the campfire. Crawling up and out one morning at a brisk -20f getting the kettle on the stove for the morning coffee hear some giggles, look to see one of my scouts wearing only long johns, barefoot, running across the snow/ice back to his snowcave.... He had to make a "emergency run" to the KYBO :-)

YIS

Phil(This message has been edited by AK-Eagle)

Just got back in from a backpacking trip in the Hill Country of Texas. 18 scouts and 6 adults left Friday morning and got to E-Rock in the afternoon in a slight sleeting condition. That night we stayed fairly comfortable, took all precaution about hypothermia. At midnight, the boys woke us up when they got out to play in the snow. It was the first time for the majority of these guys to see snow. The temp dropped to about 24 F. Most boys were in at least 5 layers of clothings and some got the toe warmers and hand warmers. I tried them ... and the are great in the shoes and in the pocket. Fair warning, do not let the boys leave them in contact with their skin. We had one boy who did that at winter camp and needless to say, he had to walk in slippers for the next two weeks to school.

Yesterday, was beautiful and balmy! Couldn't have asked for a better weather. The boys hiked up that Enchanted Rock and went spelunking in the cave. Last night it cleared up and the temp again dropped, but the boys were fairly prepared.

This will be the stuffs that they will remember for years to come! Perhaps, the only thing that they didn't really like was to lug the 40 lbs. pack up and down the hills! ;)