Has anyone been to the doubleH ranch? If so what was you trek like?

Does anyone have any background on it? As far as I could tell the owner passed away in 2002 donated the ranch to the Elks club, but I could not find any info on how Philmont got involved in doing treks there. The troop is scheduled to go there in 2004.

www.doublehranch.net

Hi Dan

2004 is the first summer it is open. I grew up fishing and hunting with my grandparents in those mountains and it is very beautiful. I was told it is pretty much only a backpacking program without the theme camps like Philmont has. I'm looking forward to hearing your experience.

Barry

Close Dan, The DoubleH ranch is an Elk preserve. Millions of dollars were donated to the National Forest Service by the man that invented the pnuematic nail gun. It was a gift given under the conditions that they partner with a youth organization for the study of Elk habitat. The BSA was selected as the partnering organization. Several thousand acres of wilderness in central New Mexico was purchased for the ranch.

2004 will be its first summer of operation. It will consist of treks lead by a ranger that will track and study Elk for a one-week or ten day period. It is BSA's Goal to be able to serve 10,000 scouts or more each year, according to information shared with us at Philmont training Center last summer.

Bob White

I have to admit I chuckled when I read the part about the Elks Club.

(This message has been edited by Bob White)

• 4 months later...