• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

How about a Social Etiquette merit badge in general, from proper attire, hygiene, to manners in general, especially correct conduct and interaction around women? Social graces and cultural traditions are part of what I perceive is scouting; its preparing a young man for manhood.

But before we get into a debate about whether the real and present movement for the feminization of men approaches the definition of stereotyping, my point was to avoid such nomenclature as not to deter the interest of badge. Interior Decorating, Quilting and Barbie Doll Maintenance merit badges may be of interest to some boys but they would, in my opinion, have a feminizing effect on the program.

BTW, what is the proper way to tie a cumberband, Im embarrassed to say Ive never seen a cummerbund that ties.

Chippewa,

Mea culpa, Mea culpa, Mea Maxi a culpa

All I wanted was a forum for new merit badge ideas, not a discussion of whether or not there was a movement to feminize men. I may have fed the fire a bit myself, so I am to blame as much as anyone.

I imagine I feel as you did when your left handed smoke shifter thread got "hijacked" and I apologize for my involvement in that effort.

Dedicated Dad, I think we are thinking along the same lines. I agree wording would have to be done carefully so boys don't run from badges -- like I said I don't think they want to fashion shows or to sit around sharing feelings and tears. Once the boys are teens, convince them that knowing about cooking or such will win over girls, and I'm sure they will be interested. :)

I'm not wanting to feminize boys or boy scouts, but let's recognize those differences and celebrate them. At the same time, realize that stereotypes are generalizations only, if a boy is interested in Interior Decorating, he should not be made to feel something is "wrong" with him. They need to know they don't have to be a jock to be a man. Men are helping more at home with working wives, some men choose to be stay at home dads, some men are raising children alone -- they need to know some domestic things that previously the women handled. All of these subjects would have to be approached in a male way. There are differences in the way females and males approach learning, life, religion, relationships, etc. I'm as upset as you about the melding of genders, each have so much to bring to the world and to each other. I'm VERY serious when saying teach the boys to be proud of being male.

Back to social graces, I once talked to some college teachers who had a class for freshmen that covered subjects like how to order in a resturant whose menu is NOT on the wall. They said you would be amazed at the number of 18 year olds who had never been to a sit down resturant and ordered a meal, much less knew how to set a table, or manners about passing food, using forks, etc. Gone are the days of the little old lady with the school that taught girls to be ladies and boys to be gentlemen.

Merit badge in female psychology??? Hmmm....that would be as impossible as Girl Scouts having a badge in male psychology?? hehehe

And if ANYONE figures out the answer to EITHER, they can make a mint on the book and the talk show circuit, forget earning a badge!

I promise not to recommend merit badges that cover proper use and sharing of the remote control, toilet seats, toothpaste tops, and when body noises are NOT funny.

oh, heck the spirit is willing but the flesh weak

Sctmom,

Our Venture Crew, which came out of our Venturing patrol, has a tradition of an Ettiquette Dinner every spring. It is done at the Local Community College which runs a Gourmet Restuarant as part of its Food Science program. Students cook, budget, run the place.

We contacted them about teaching the guys the proper way to eat, choose forks etc. This came from an event in my old troop. You are right, the guys want to date and go to "fancy places" but if the fanciest place you have ever been is sirloin stockade, Chez Paul can be scary. It has been a success and the college looks forward to having us return every year. They serve a 6 course meal with an explanation of how the courses fit together and what utensils to use etc.

Similar programs may exist in other community/trade schools, they loved the idea of teaching manners to the youth.

Oh no!! There ARE times when body noises are NOT funny???!!!

(This message has been edited by OldGreyEagle)(This message has been edited by OldGreyEagle)(This message has been edited by OldGreyEagle)

I'm not wanting to feminize boys or boy scoutsI would like to respond but apparently this would constitute a high jacking or be against the implied rules and regulations for this thread.

In the spirit the thread New Merit Badges I would like to offer some Merit Badges that IMO wouldnt very good New choices. Manicure Repair and Up Keep, Crocheting and Embroidery Study, Make-up Design, Easy-Bake-Oven Cooking on the Trail and Strategies for reply to Do these pants make me look fat?

Excuse me -- my son has an Easy Bake oven and still enjoys it at 10 years old. I was shocked to find out they are PINK! Boys like to cook. Chefs make GOOD money!

And must I remind you of the big football player of the 70's, Rosie Greer I think was his name, that did wonderful needlepoint, are you calling him a girl? And men do get manicures. At least you could address how to get the dirt out from under your fingernails using a toothpick or your pocketknife.

From what many of us see, perhaps the boys could benefit in a discussion of choosing earrings.

Response to "do these pants make me look fat?" --- no dear, you never look fat, you are absolutely beautiful, may I buy you some new diamonds now right after I clean the bathroom?

Don't forget responses to "is that woman prettier than me?" And how to deal with "I'm not going to tell you what's wrong, you should already KNOW!"

Serious question -- do the current badges adequately show the boys about careers in different fields?

As in the posting DD so graciously shared with us, 8 of 100 boys will choose a career based on having been exposed to it by a merit badge.

However, As our Committee chair is fond of saying, all merit badges are not created equal. Some you can do in a few hours, IE Basketry, others take 3 months because of time requirements, IE Family Life, Personnel Fitness, others are just involved IE Environmental Science.

They do span an eclectic range of topics, but I am not sure they represent many possible vocations or avocations. This could be improved. WHich career would you like to see represented?(This message has been edited by OldGreyEagle)

I don't know, it's always been a big joke at the camp that I work at....Sleeping Merit Badge. Requirements include correct form, a brief history of sleep, etc.

Also, it wouldn't be bad if they brought back Botany or General Science. Botany especially was a good one, looking back at the requirements. A shame it had to go.

Like the feather in Forrest Gump, these threads go wherever they will and who am I to try to direct them? I love that movie, its on my top ten list. OGE, I was trying to be serious for the most part and I honestly didnt intend to take your thread away from the direction you intended. Quilting and the man who gets to spend a day with a bunch of women who hang on his every word, I thought, deserved a response (where were you?). NOT that theres anything wrong with a man/boy who quilts (MOM), its just not a boys theme for Scouts and doesnt belong in the merit badge program. (Maybe for the girl scouts though) may I buy you some new diamonds now right after I clean the bathroom? The howl of laughter followed by the spray of milk surging through my nose and eclipsing the screen of my monitor would pay tribute to youre witty retort, nevertheless, Im still waiting for your response to a Barbie Doll Maintenance merit badge. BTW, how will your son find an extension cord long enough for the Easy-Bake oven Cooking on the Trail merit badge? The solution is a riddle for generations to come. Serious question -- do the current badges adequately show the boys about careers in different fields? SeriouslyNo, they only serve as a catalyst IMHO, however, the time spent needed to achieve such a career may begin in our beloved program. Is it just me or are Feminist Mom, Liberal Eagle and Right Wing Extremist Homophobe Dad monitored by Moderate/Conservative Eisley with guest star appearances from Traditionalist and Harmonious Rooster7, et al, (all label analogies tongue in cheek) establishing new ground for sincere and candid debate in this forum? Its probably just me.

I have been out of this loop for some time now, but a merit badge on etiquette generally would not be a bad idea.

Several years ago we enrolled our two older sons in cotillion to civilize them a bit. Since we provided two boys, we got a break on the price. The last night of cotillion one obnoxious kid tried to pick a fight with my oldest son who then decked the other kid. Somehow cotillion just didn't take.

I think etiquette classes run jointly with girls would be the most effective way to do this. Thoughts?

We have our Etiquette dinner, (see previous posting), but it was a hard sell to the boys to make them see the reason they should care how to eat correctly. And sit straight and drink properly et al. They said to do so was wussy and non-macho or words to that effect. They werent convinced it was relevant.

I asked them who was by far the coolest charactor of all time on film. After several names came up, I tendered one, it was accepted as the best instantly. All I said was Bond, James Bond.

They all agreed Commander Bond would be able to mend his pants, cook a goumet dinner, set the table and be able to tell if the glassware came from tuscany or the rhineland. I asked if any of them thought James Bond was a wuss and got no response. I told them Sophistication and self-reliance are not incompatible. Manners and Survival skills can co-exist as Bond proves in every adventure.

(as a side note, we model the monogamous married James Bond, before his wife was killed, the widower Bond would have a slight problem with the morally straight thing by anybody's book, I hope)

I took your advice and submitted a "U.S.Flag Study" merit badge to national. I am sure that this type of badge has been sent in many times before, but I think that scouts could know more than what they learn for tenderfoot. This next year I plan to do the "American Heritage" badge with my troop, but it is more of a history study.

Merry Christmas and Happy New Year!