Jamboree Troop Parent Meeting.

In the very near future we will be holding our first meeting with the Scouts and parents that have signed up for the National Jamboree.

Already I'm getting E-mails asking qustions. (Most have been about uniforms)

While I think that I have a good idea about what information I will pass on at this first meeting.

What would you want to know?

If you have taken a troop before what do you wish you had covered or did cover and were glad that you did?

I aim to have the "National List" Of equipment and stuff that I know we used and needed last Jambo.

FYI.

The drive to Fort AP Hill is only a few hours.

We will be using BSA Wall Tents.

"Standard?" Patrol Boxes.

We have a camp table which when assembled has benches. It works but is a pain to assemble, I'm thinking of buying folding tables that are not too expensive and asking if the Scouts can bring their own chairs.

Most of the Scouts brought Foot Lockers last time. I strongly sugguested that they buy a cot. All did !!

I also sold them a fanny pack that had two water bottles. Would a Camelbak be better?

Any and all ideas are welcome.

Thanks

Eamonn

I would reccomend Camelbak's and not a no-name pack from WalMart(been there,done that).

I use a Camelbak Thermobak 3L(military version) and a belt pack on hikes, camporees, etc. Highly suggest both or a backpack with the hydration pack built in. Remember you are in the summer and it will be hot!!

• 2 months later...

I suspect this information is rather late in coming, but it's still before the Jamboree and I would think there would be another couple meetings before then. While he's not a member on here and you would have to contact him through email, I would refer you to my father who was the scoutmaster for my troop in going to the 2001 Nat'l Jamboree. I trust he could provide some good information even now that you've likely held several meetings. He could also, if you would like, give some other tips about the week there that would pertain to only the leadership as well as advice about other aspects of the week. I recall that the adults acquired a kiddy pool and set up an in-camp adult only water front, just an idea of some fun things you can do I thought to pass on. Anyways, my father's email address is gerjavec@mindspring.com. It could go unsaid but I'll say it anyways, should you decide to contact him it would probably be a good idea to inform him of how you got his email address and maybe even my association with this page which led you to that. Happy scouting, I hope your future meetings go well and later your week at the Jamboree is an excellent and enjoyable time. If you have any questions about being at the Jamboree I would be willing to help any I can.

YIS,

Jerry Erjavec

We held the first meeting. It went well. In no small way thanks to the young chap who will be the 3rd ASM. He is a super Lad. An Eagle Scout and at present the Lodge Chief. He lives for Scouting. Kind of reminds me of myself when I was his age only he is a lot more intelligent.

He was a APL in the 2001 troop. Needless to say I think the world of him. He attended the last World Jamboree.

At the meeting he was able to talk to the Scouts from a Scout participants point of view.

The big question from the parents was uniform. I of course said that all the troop meeting that we would be holding before the event would be in uniform and that the guidelines suggest two uniforms.However they ought to remember that there was a lot of time from now to the Jambo and kids can grow a lot in that time. I have a little bit of a hard time comprehending that a parent is willing to spend almost a thousand bucks to send a boy and then worry about a $35.00 shirt.

Eamonn

A thousand bucks and two uniforms? Can I come be part of your contingent? Since we are further away, our cost will be $1,900 and we've been told three uniforms. With pants, shirts and socks for both my son and I; that comes to an additional $500 or so. Don't get me wrong, I'll gladly pay it, but it ain't cheap.

We have a $895.00 price tag. But it only a six or seven hour drive. If we want to do anything on the way home that will be an extra. Some people are a little unhappy. But then again here are always a few who are unhappy.

Eamonn

22 day tour of what?

I can see Jambo shirt but why should addtional socks, pants or belt be needed. Yes they have Jambo pants (shorts) and such but I would assume that would fall more in the souvenir side than required side.

Acco,

I assume you are talking to me about the additional pants, shirts and socks. I'm not talking about souvenir clothing. The requirement we were given was for each adult and boy in our contingent to have 3 uniforms to take to Jamboree. You could take the patches off of your current uniform and sew the Jambo patches on and only buy two more. Or some people may already have two or three. I have one and so far have found that to be sufficient for meetings and campouts. I'll have to buy at least two more for me and my son each.

If you need uniforms, check out ebay. I got a shirt not long ago for my son for $15, including shipping. Brand new pants for $12 including shipping.

I also came across a woman who was selling new shirts for a song. Her name is Lisa Sebela atl_lettergirl@msn.com. I don't know if she still has any but it might be worth an email.