Can anyone point me to a site, a document, or anything that can be used as a good BSA outdoor training guide for the new scouts? campground selection, campsite protocol, etc. I can put together a guide from the Handbook, OLST, BALOO, and OWL training that I have been to. I just didn't want to reinvent the wheel. Thanks.

1Hour

The best document I can think of is the Boy Scout Handbook. It pretty much covers everything the new Scout needs to know up through 1st class rank. The older Scouts, troop guide, instructor, SPL etc. are there to help.

One Hour,

I really think the best resource you have to achieve your goal is the Boy Scout Handbook and the best syllabus to follow is the trail from Tenderfoot to First Class. That is designed to give scouts the basic skills needed to be safe and comfortable camping.

Bob

Gotta go with Bob on this one, but will expand with an additional reason - the gradual working progression through First Class builds on prior knowledge rather than just making a huge data dump that the Scout will absorb, glaze over, and forget. Lots of this material is addressed over and over and there's good reasons for that. Remember that we're building, and begin with a solid foundation.

Good luck

Thanks for the inputs. Actually, what I was looking for is the Patrol Method of camping and/or the tips and tricks of camping(if that makes any sense). For example, upon entering a different patrol campsite, one must asks for permission and receives acknowledgement before entering or the fact that laying down ground cloth for the tent, one should have it at least 3-4" recessed under the tent so that the ground cloth will not act as a channel for the rain and dew to collect underneath one's back.

As for tips and trick,s one can use lint from the dryer to help start a fire or egg carton filled with parafin that can be easily cut into small "fire starter chunk," or using Bounce sheets to ward off mosquitoes.

Something along the line of what to buy and what not to buy such as one should be running out there and purchase the $600 hiking tent that is solely design for alpine country when you are actually camping in the heat of SE Texas. Something like a wide-mouth, clear, plastic quart bottle with a biner to tie to your belt worths every penny ($6) than a $20 boyscout canteen ... a bottle that allows one to easily clean it or mix coolaid in it or use it as a cooking measuring tool.

These are things that were taught to us by a wise longtime camper/hiker/mountaineer at our Outdoor training. I guess that I could sit down and jot down what I learned ... but I want to see if there is not already a collection out there. These are the types of things that make the boys go ... "wow, did not know that! ... or sweet! I'm starting a fire with lint!"

I whole heartedly agree that the Handbook is second to none in terms of information, but I'm looking for the little nuances of camping, the tips and tricks of camping, the things that bring the "thrifty" word out of camping! :)

Thanks,

1Hour

Do a internet search on NOLS, Leave no Trace, and BOSS; or go over to www.rei.com to their learn and share section....

From these, you should be able to build an outdoor handbook that'll help you fine tune the stuff in the Scout Handbook

Old timer answer --

Get your hands on an old (at least '70's) Boy Scout Fieldbook. There was a lot of that type of stuff in there. There was a revival of it in the late 80's/ early 90's that was pretty good, too.

That's where I learned how to do the chicken in the backpack, which turned out surprisingly well.

DS

You might want to check with your High Adventure Committee. The curriculum for the High Adventure Basic Backpacking Class, has much of what youre looking for. Each session addresses a specific topic, it you can get the instructor outline sheets you might be ahead of the game.

fotoscout ... I wish that our High Adventure committee exists. Our troop is about 4 years old. It has been run by the SM. Most adults are happy to sit back and let it happen. My son, his 12 friends (plus around 15 other webelos), and a whole bunch of excited parents joined this past March. So far, it was disappointing. On top of that, a new CC was elected and he is another story for a late night cracker barrel.

So, I am sticking my neck out to see if I can retrained the older boys and at the same time making it fun by pointing out the "neat" stuffs that camping can bring. Thanks.

1Hour

OneHour,

Ditto those who suggested the Field Book, particularly the older ones. I have found the new edition of the Handbook to have cut out a lot of detail on subjects like this, with the hope (I believe) that boys would turn to the Field book. The current edition is miles more valuable for what you are seeking than is the Hand Book, and I have been told by others who have read older editions of the Field Book that much of the new editions have been watered down progresiveley over the years.

I suspect that the older a Field Book you get, however, the more you run the risk of getting away from Leave No Trace. Be careful to identify when old ideas are in conflict with new philosophy.

Mark

High adventure does not have to be just Philmont, or Boundary or Sea Base. A program that can fill the summer on just basic scout skills is possible. Many forget that scout skills go beyond merit badges and such. Include tracking, wilderness survival, orienteering, pioneering, camping and cooking into the program.

Start with basics, how to cook with tools and without. Camp with tents, etc., and move into tarp tenting or if have friendly farmland natural shelters. Track each other, move into id'ing signs of creatures of the land. Teach the stars and how to follow them, tell the time, know directions. (check the camping forum KScouter has great stuff)

Build all of this into an overnight where they must track someone to a campsite that gives the bare necessities (10by10 tarp, 50 foot rope or things of your choice) What they have on their backs will be their food, shelter etc. The possibilites are endless. Set a seperate trek for the newer boys that is easier, but challenging. During all this stage a lost scout search. 'Let your mind go, Neo'.

This was a summer program I helped put together some time back and the scouts who participated still talk about it. Yes, many of these skills I had to learn. But remember you only have to know a 'litle' bit more than the scouts.

whew!

yis