Boy Scouts & Cub Camping

Our Council is sponsoring the "100 Years of Aviation" camporee in May here in Ohio. They have a volunteer who is in charge of putting this massive undertaking together. While I admire his dedication, he has started quoting "National Policies" that no one can verify. The biggest one quoted and the main problem with most of our units is whether or not Boy Scout Troops and Cub Scout Packs may camp together in a camporee type evironment. The majority of our Councils' Troops and Packs will be attending. The problem is, most of these units have parents/leaders who have have Scouts enrolled in Troops and Packs and are going to be on separate sides of Wright-Patterson Air Force base. Council tells us that as a volunteer, he and his committee are in charge of rules and guidelines for this event and they are not going to interfere - (which really makes us wonder.) They will neither confirm nor deny the National Policy prohibiting Troops and Packs from camping together. We have been told, that if it is that inconvieniant, then the Cub Packs should attend daily and not camp (At $15.00 per day admission, but they still aren't allowed in the Troop areas!!) My question is - Is there really such a policy? No one has been able to locate it anywhere and National will not get back with us! The Guide to safe Scouting does not address this issue from we have read. I / We would really like to know.

I'm not sure about the whole pack. Our Webelos 1 and 2's are going to a Camporee in March as the guests of a local troop. Nothing has been said about us having to camp seperate from them. The impression we all had was that we would be camping with the troop.

In fact, one of the requirements for the Webelos Outdoorsman activity badge is, "With your adult partner, take part in a Webelos overnighter or camp overnight with a Boy Scout troop."

How can you camp wit ha troop if you are in a different location?

Cubs or Webelos are not allowed to participate in Boy Scout camporees. They can however camp under their guidelines in the same camp as Boy Scouts and hold their own separate camporee.

Ed Mori

Scoutmaster

Troop 1

1 Peter 4:10

It is my understanding that Webelos can (and should) camp with Boy Scout Troops. However, during Camp-o-rees, most Councils state that 1) Webelos dens/patrols should not compete against Boy Scout patrols (same goes for Cub Scouts of the Tiger, Wolf and Bear variety). Many events are set up for Cub Scouts only and Boy Scouts only.

Cub Packs have much different rules for camping (see BALOO) than do troops. In "camping together" they would still have to follow the appropriate rules of their organization (Pack and Troop) which are vastly different. Therefore, while not forbidden, it is a good idea for the younger Cub Scouts (Tiger, Wolf and Bear) to not camp with a Boy Scout troop.

P.S. This is all from memory so don't take this as gospel. I'll try to see if I can come up with the actual guidlines and/or BSA policy.

We have been told by our council that they are no longer allowing Packs and/or Webelos Dens to camp with Troops at Camporees. The reason they gave was that the rules and regs for camping was way to different for the different programs. They also stated that Cubs/Webelos are not allowed to participate in any activities that are specifically for Boy Scouts.

We used to have Webelos camp overnight with the Troops at the yearly camporee. No more. Council said that National felt that the Webelos were doing to many activities that were ment for Boy Scouts only. Troops are now encouraged to set aside a Troop campout specificially for Webelos. The feeling is that this way the Troop can set up level appropriate activities and spend more time with the Webelos and their parents.

I appreciate the responses. One thing I want to point out is that this camporee is a Council sponsored event involving Troops, Crews, & Packs from all over. They have 7800 Scouts & Leaders registered to date. Our problem is.. with an event of this size, it seems non-productive to separate the Cubs from the rest of the event by keeping them away from the Troops and the Crews. If you are going to include them, don't alienate them.

I think there is a huge misunderstanding of the camping policy that took effect at the beginning of 2002. There are various versions of what people think it is and what it applies to.

Essentially, National has said that EXCEPT for individual troop activities where a troop has inveitd a Webelos Den to participate as a potential recruitment tool, Boy Scouts and Cub Scouts are to have separate campsite areas and that Council, District and National activities (where both programs are present) must have separate activity elements that are program appropriate for the two different groups.

To put a large number of Cub Scouts amid a large number of boy scouts has proven to be a safety hazard mostly for the younger scouts. To have both program participating in the same event usually means the the event has to be scaled back to accomodate the Cubs, thereby lessening the quality and challenge of the event to the Boy Scout. In some cases the level of program is kept at the Boy Scout Level and the Cub is either unable to compete, or risks injury due to his abilities at that age.

So the rule makes good sense. If you have both groups present then have two activity courses, one for Cubs and one for Boy Scouts. If they are camping then have two campsite areas.

If a troop wants to bring a bunch of Webelos with them on a Troop outing they are more than welcome to.

I hope you can see the purpose and the logic in this,

Bob White

This one was in scouting magazine late 2001 or early 2002 and our council ran it our council newsletter. There ia also a manual for the Activities committee (I don't have the title in front of me) and it will be in there as well. This is a District/Council administration rule that has to be followed in events planned by the District/Council. It does not effect individualunit activities or operstions.

BW(This message has been edited by Bob White)