Does anyone have a suggested layout for a "tent city"? We're expecting a large number of Cubs for a district overnighter and need to layoff an athletic field to accommodate all the tents.

Are there standard dimensions for how much room to leave for a row of tents? How wide to make the aisles, etc.? With non-standard tents, we're going to have to SWAG it, but I'm interested in input from anyone who has done this before.

See if you can contact a SM or ASM who went to the naitonal Jamboree last year. Each sub camp is its own tent city and the leaders got layouts of how each troop was to put its gear and where the "lanes" were. Each troop has 40 members. That should give you a sense of space requirements.

Without knowing how many groups or attendees it is almost impossible to lay out a tent city. Best bet is to leader the leaders of each group know the situation and ask them not to spread out too much.

Might want to thank about a central promenade for access to the individual group sites.

YIS

There probably is no point in trying to provide a layout for each unit participating. There will likely be a lot of variation in tentage used. The most successful approach I have seen used is to allocate and demarcate space based on the number of people coming in each unit, marking lanes clearly. It may be possible to create a schematic of this ahead of time for distribution to people when they show up.

Eisley, that's probably not a bad idea. I am planning to distribute a layout of the area, but simply assigning each pack a block is probably much more practical that trying to create a grid. Maybe we leave one big walkway down the center of the area. Invariably, someone will show up with an 18-person canvas Hilton that will foul up whatever we do.

I'm not as much concerned about having enough space as the safety issue of having a million guylines in every direction if "all we do is just set up the tents." (duh, yourself). Cub Scouts are going to want to run wild, and I'm afraid after dark we're going to have a mess if there is no organization.

Maybe we let each unit manage the layout within their own block of space, but remind them to consider safe walking areas -- and to keep the boys under control after dark.