Tom,

If you asked 50 different scouters you would get 50 differsent answers.

Here's my two cents.

A picture of Model Site depends on the individual location but here are features I would look for.

* Patrols camping separated from each other.

* Tents pitched properly depending on the terrain and the weather.

* Cooking and garbage storage are dealt with away from the tent area and in the proper manner.

* No litter

* Fire safety rules followed

* Personal gear put away when not in use.

* Minimal camp improvements so that we can appreciate the beauty of God's work not the gizmos of man's.

Two more cents to add to Bob White's:

Lay out an ax yard

Some sort of gateway w/flags

Set up your camp kitchen - stowed between meals

Different types of tents and tarp shelters

Water point?

Maybe some sort of program area - lashing crossbar?

Camp gadgets

Gear layout within tents

Depends on where you're heading

We use something like this for WELOT and SM Fundamentals

Offering a lot to see and using your Scouts to explain

When we go backpacking, I always insist on minimalism, light weight and above all, minimum impact. A perfect "model" campsite for our troop means one that has already been used and far enough from the trail not to have people observing you in camp...for both party's privacy. Second, we usually don't make any fire, unless we have an existing fire ring. If there are more than one in a small campsite, we re-habilitate them and consolidate them into one, using of course downed wood.

Each small patrol, 1-3 tents, cooks in the small space between the tents, usually lounging inside the tents (expecially nice in the rain). Bathroom duties are done in catholes (instruction is provided early in their Scout curiculum). Upon leaving, all traces are erased. That is a model camp!

• 4 months later...

first posting and I don't know if this is still timely or helpful, but we start every camp with our tarps (rain fly). In developed campsites, patrols generally set their tarps in a semi circle around a common feature, say a flag pole or better, the fire ring (if there is such an animal). Enough room is left for troop use of the "feature". This is done FIRST. Having the tarps up, allows for 'dry' set up of our tents (when necessary) and then the tents can be 'relocated' to their 'site' in the woods (all of our tents are self supporting), then patrol kitchens are "set". The tents go 'back' into the campsite away from the ax yards, food, activity and refuse areas. This general camp format allows the tarp/kichen areas to be 1. easily inspected, and observed, 2.patrols can interact and have fun together during those rare liquid sunshine campouts, Even on our week long river trips the tarps are 'up' first and are the 'social centers' Adults set a separate camp along side the scouts (usually close to the new scout patrol)

• 4 weeks later...

Welcome to the Forum Anarchist,

The cook area tarp is a great idea, especially in your area and mine where "if it ain't raining it ain't training". And we're always training. We bought some of those new camo tarps and they really blend in better. For sleeping quarters, I prefer a philmont type tarp. (not canvas). The new high tech material tarps are great. The tarp allows lots of air movement. Thats a good idea for our leader patrol, "The Barking Spiders". The boys have seen our example and the older patrol likes the ease and accommodations of the tarp. The younger ones still need the privacy and security of a tent. The tarps are great for backpacking because of the weight. We have used tarps in very cold conditions, using our cold weather sleeping systems and proper nutrition for warmth. Our boys use retired ski poles to hike with and use those for tarp poles. Most commercial ski slopes will donate old poles. Parachute chord for lines. Fold the outside of the ground cloth (plastic) under to keep running water out.

Of course, for critter reasons, I like the cooking area and bear bags a good distance away from the sleeping area.

Doug