Interesting converstaion...I especially liked the point about no way to 'punish'

Don't Scouts have to complete a Scoutmaster Reivew and SM Conference in order to complete a rank? I know I always did.

I remember our SM refusing to sign off on one because the boy obviously wasnt conforming to the standards of Scouting, and while he was 'present,' he wasn't really participating. (he was 3rd Boy in family slated to make Eagle...perhaps he just felt he didn't need to work as hard) SM explained the issue to the boy and his father, and how he felt there could be some improvement. The boy complied, and 6 months later....the boy was signed off.

To me, the purpose of the Scout Uniform, is to be UNIFORM! It shows an ability to follow rules and conform to a group. As Scouting Leaders...we should be striving to ensure we're meeting the intent of the District and National offices. We should also help 'mentor' our Scouts on what is/is-not acceptable. The scouts themselves will also do a splendid job of peer-pressure for conformity.

Please don't misundersand me.. I'm honestly not a uniform nazi or anything...but it really does bother me when Scouts refuse to even closely follow the rules. (patches in totally wrong spots, shirt not buttoned or tucked in, (or overly small) uniform looks overly unkept/dirty/wringled)

Just some of my thoughts. I think I kinda stepped away from the original topic..

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Interesting converstaion...I especially liked the point about no way to 'punish'

Don't Scouts have to complete a Scoutmaster Reivew and SM Conference in order to complete a rank? I know I always did.

I remember our SM refusing to sign off on one because the boy obviously wasnt conforming to the standards of Scouting, and while he was 'present,' he wasn't really participating. (he was 3rd Boy in family slated to make Eagle...perhaps he just felt he didn't need to work as hard) SM explained the issue to the boy and his father, and how he felt there could be some improvement. The boy complied, and 6 months later....the boy was signed off.

To me, the purpose of the Scout Uniform, is to be UNIFORM! It shows an ability to follow rules and conform to a group. As Scouting Leaders...we should be striving to ensure we're meeting the intent of the District and National offices. We should also help 'mentor' our Scouts on what is/is-not acceptable. The scouts themselves will also do a splendid job of peer-pressure for conformity.

Please don't misundersand me.. I'm honestly not a uniform nazi or anything...but it really does bother me when Scouts refuse to even closely follow the rules. (patches in totally wrong spots, shirt not buttoned or tucked in, (or overly small) uniform looks overly unkept/dirty/wringled)

Just some of my thoughts. I think I kinda stepped away from the original topic..