Neckerchief decal of Troop logo

Really would like my scouts to make their own neckerchiefs. The original is a silk print in the size of the Troop's sweatshirt/t-shirt logo which is way too big for the neckerchief. Neckerchiefs are not rolled neatly for the 12 point (Scout law) 'clean' look which drives me nuts... *laughing

Ideas please on how the scouts can do their own neckerchief that is long lasting and professional looking yet a cheap expense for the Troop?

Thought of silk printing them but really haven't made silk print screens before plus getting so much talk on better not that is quite discouraging. I really think the scouts making their own will give them a strong sense of staying in Boy Scouts now that they have crossed over. It also give them something for the first COH as most can't earn a rank or MB in time. Adding in shoulder epaulets and they will even be dress the part of a Boy Scout as many of the donated uniforms still had the red ones...*smiles

If you would like to apply a simple one-color design, a technique called freezer paper stenciling can give excellent results that are similar to screenprinting. The design is cut out freezer paper, adhered to the fabric with a hot iron, paint applied and after it dries, the paper peels off again. One stencil can be used several times. Freezer paper is sold in stores near the plastic wrap, aluminum foil and waxed paper. It is coated on one side with plastic, which keeps it from getting soggy when used to wrap foods for the freezer but also will stick to fabric when pressed with a hot iron. This technique is easier than traditional stencils because the freezer paper is easy to cut and since the stencil is securely adhered to the fabric, there is no shifting or bleeding under the edges. A Google search will certainly turn up tutorials for this technique.

For more intricate designs, you can have a rubber stamp made and stamp (office supply stores) your design onto the neckerchief with a ink suitable for fabric. Generally you will need to heat-set the design with a hot iron after the ink dries for durability.

If you have a logo with different colors, you can purchase transfer paper and print the logo (as many as will fit) onto the transfer paper with an inkjet printer, then cut the logos apart and iron them onto the neckerchief. I would suggest transfer paper for opague transfers for neckerchiefs that are any color other than white. Here's a link to a brand I've used: http://www.dharmatrading.com/products/ijop.html from an excellent vendor.

Fun project, now I'm thinking about doing something like this for our scouts. Best of luck!

Sasha,

You're a LIFE SAVER!!!... *HUGE grin

Never heard of this trick of using for freezer paper in place of silk printing but from what the tutorial I googled shows, seems PERFECT for what I have in mind. Can even do some parts in sponge shapes along with this.

THANKS a whole bunch!!

http://www.craftster.org/video/How-to-Make-Stencils-from-Freezer-Paper-282306430

Advantage Emblem does really nice, custom neckers for our troop. They do a great job. Their artists can take any quality sketch you send them and turn it into a really great, professional designs. Our neckers have multiple colors, silver mylar piping around the edges and are cut extra large. I think they're about $10.

Been working with them for over 10 years. Only had one foul-up but they fixed it at their expense plus paid overnight shipping so we'd have our stuff on time. Can't beat that.

www.advantageemblem.com Ask for Jenni or email jenni@advantageemblem.com(This message has been edited by Twocubdad)

TwoCubDad.. Will consider your suggestion if my practice with freezer paper stenciling proves difficult. I really want my scouts to able to do their own neckerchief for a sense of pride that will help us with retention... *smiles