Adult wearing Eagle medal question

First, adults wear the red, white and blue knot that signifies that they have earned the Eagle rank in their youth. Second, the ECOH should be about the Eagle recipient. Third, your son asked you to wear it and it is his ECOH so go for it.

When my sons received their Eagle awards, I wondered if I should wear the a suit (just be dad for the day) or wear my Scoutmaster uniform and attend primarily as the troop Scoutmaster. I left it up to my sons to decide. (This message has been edited by a staff member.)

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I know that this issue is a moot point (congratulations to Eagle732!) but I'm going to post this in case anyone stumbles on this thread in the future.

Adults wear the knot at all times and the medal when appropriate (and your son's ECOH is one of these).

Here's a line from the IG that should help clarify National's stance on the Eagle rank (and one I rarely see cited):

"Embroidered knots are representative of pin-on medals or around-the-neck awards and are

designed for the convenience of the wearer."

From this, we can conclude if you can wear the knot, you can wear the medal. The line that people cite is about "youth awards" but National has made Eagle something more with the square knot. The "youth awards" line is about keeping adult leaders from wearing (for example) Star or Life patches.

More here: http://www.scouting.org/scoutsource/Media/InsigniaGuide/10K.aspx

By all means, wear it. An Eagle COH is about the only time I wear my medal. At one of our Eagle COH's, the Eagle's dad not only wore his Eagle medal, but wore his original scout uniform. It was very impressive. The disgusting thing is, it still fit after 30+ years!! I know mine sure wouldn't

Dale

I'm only a little under a decade out from being a youth, but I'm glad my problem was that my youth uniforms were -too big- when I registered again as an adult! Counting my blessings I'm able to comfortably wear an adult small shirt and 32 shorts, and will be doing my best to make sure it stays that way as long as possible. :)

And I too wear my medal at ECOH's.(This message has been edited by bando)

• 4 weeks later...

I'm an adult scouter -- the eagle knot has been on my uniform shirt that I wear to our weekly meetings for a long time. I'm attending an ECoH this Wednesday evening -- if I don't want to unpick the knot and sew it back on again later (and I don't have a spare shirt that doesn't have the knot), then I shouldn't wear the medal over the knot?

Yep, unlike the military which doesn't allows medals and their ribbons to be worn simultaneously, you don't have to take off the knots to wear your BSA medals on special occasions.

Now I did know of one gentleman who had his knots mounted on a ribbonbar, and he wouldn't wear the ribbon bar with his knots, but that was hiss call.

I also knew of a Sea Scout Ship, ok they were a Sea Exploer ship at the time, that used the law enforcement Exploring ribbons instead of knots. Still have my Eagle ribbon on a ribbon bar.