Adult wearing Eagle medal question

Is it proper for an adult in uniform to wear his Eagle medal at an Eagle Court of Honor?

The BSA Insignia Guide (2006) says on page 4 "Scouters should neither seek awards designed for youth members nor wear them on the Scouter uniform except square knots..." The on page 25 under Eagle Award it says "Adults wear only on formal Eagle occasions".

I've seen adults wear the medal on a suit but never on a uniform. Seems on one had the guide is saying not to wear the medal on the uniform but on the other and it's OK to wear an Eagle medal on special occasions.

As a Scoutmaster I've been lucky to be a part of several ECOHs but tomorrow my son has his ECOH and he has asked me to wear my medal.

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I ALWAYS wear mine at Eagle Courts of Honor. It is the only time I wear mine. What would happen if you wore yours at your son's? Would the Badge Police come and rip it off of your shirt?

I can't think of anything more formal than an ECOH, especially your son's.

Go for it.

OGO

Sounds like they are saying that you don't wear it on your uniform no matter what...EXCEPT if you are at a formal Eagle occasion.

usually, it;s easier to make a general rule or statement , but put ammendments or exception under the place where those exceptions take place.

Know what I mean, instead of listing every single exception to the rule in the general rules, you list it under the specific case it becomes an exception.

I got two words for ya '732:

WEAR IT

There is nothing wrong wearing your Eagle Medal at a formal occasion like an ECOH. Heck I still have mine on from the District Banquet as I have given the Eagle recognition at them in the past. banquets, ECOHs Blue and Golds are considered formal occasions for its wearing.

Any member of the uniform police who thinks you can't wear your Eagle medal at an Eagle Court of Honor should be subject to having his UP membership revoked.

Darn tootin, esp since as the OP quotes, it's allowed in the IG.

Hope you have a great ECOH today.

Well the ECOH went off without a hitch. Almost every Scout from our troop was there along with some Cubs who will be joining us next month. Many special guests and friends attended.

Scouts did a great job on the ceremony, even managing to stay serious and focused through the program. I was impressed.

Mom pinned the Eagle medal, I placed the Eagle neckerchief and administered the Eagle Oath.

Mom and Grandmother cried, Grandfather received the Mentor pin for advising on the project.

My 2 SMs from my days as a Scout (many years ago!) along with the current SM of the troop, who was a Scout when I was there also attended.

State and local politicians made proclamations and brought gifts.

Eagle son stood up in front of a crowd of 100 people and gave a great thank you speech, which was difficult for him, but he did it like a true leader.

The buzz amongst the boys was that they are more motivated that ever to earn Eagle and were each predicting dates of completion. ASM was taking notes on who and when for later reference.

Oh, and I did wear my medal.