Brimmed Hat & Knee Socks

AJ,

Originally that hat was called the Expedition by supply. Old names die hard, kinda like calling a venture patrol a venutre crew, or calling a Venturing Crew a venture crew.

Yes they can be worn with any BSA uniform save teh CS blue uniform, Webelos wearing the Boy Scout uniform, and Sea Scouts.

Boy Scouts, Varsity Scouts, Venturers and their leaders are OK. While there has been some debate about CS leaders wearing them, one place says they wear whatever level hat their den is, You've seen CS folks with them on in national literature.

I used to have one of those pewter pins and don't remember them being Venturing specific. I'm thinking it's the "adult" pin for he hat. The youth pin is the full FC emblem about 1" tall. The stupid clips kept falling off the pewter pin and after poking in my head a few times, it was history. I know wear the SM pin with clasp instead.

Stosh

"I used to have one of those pewter pins and don't remember them being Venturing specific. I'm thinking it's the "adult" pin for he hat. The youth pin is the full FC emblem about 1" tall."

In the begining, there was the universal pin (tenderfoot emblem on a ring), plus the large FC emblem.

A few years ago, National came out with a pewter Venturing logo pin for the hat. I had suggested it in part because I encountered a few leaders who were very anal about the hat NOT being worn with the Venturing uniform, which I felt was incorrect.

http://www.scoutstuff.org/BSASupply/ItemDetail.aspx?cat=01RTL&ctgy=PRODUCTS&c2=GIFTS&c3=PINS&c4=&lv=3&item=18019

From the catalog: This pin can be worn on the Boy Scout campaign hat or expedition hat.

According to the Wood Badge Admin Guide the campaign hat should not be worn by staff because it is Boy Scout specific, and not a Cub Scout or Venturing hat. The brimmed hat (aka Expedition hat) is fine for Troops and Venturing Crews.

Eagle92 - you can still have a Venture Patrol as part of a Troop, just like a New Scout Patrol (see page 37 of the Scout Handbook) They are registered Boy Scouts and are usually older and participate in high adventure activities. A Venturing Crew is registered with the Venturing program and not registered Boy Scouts. A crew can be all male, all female, or coed. However, young men cam be dual registered for Scout advancement purposes if they had not reached FC by the age of 14.

So while people confuse the two terms, they are both current and can be applied correctly to registered groups.

Your friend in all things Scouting,

Jared

Thanks for the update emb021, I tossed my universal pin mega years ago.

I still wear the 1" (Youth ONLY!) pin on my campaign hat because it is the historically correct pin for the campaign hat, if my information is correct. Most people don't even know about the 1" pin let alone it being youth only because FC is reserved for youth only. If I get flack on it, I'll just switch it out with the SM pin which is a smaller, green/silver version of the FC pin anyway (ASM was smaller, green/gold version of the FC pin). All historical pins were the FC emblem until later years reduced it to the TF emblem for adults, leaving the full FC for youth.

Stosh

jared,

1) WELCOME TO THE FORUMS!!!!!!!

2) the reference to venuture crew/patrol and Venturing Crew to the Expedition hats referes to the fact that before 1998 when Ventruing split from Exploring, venture patrols in a a troop were called venture crews. Some folks, mostly old fogeys like myself who slip up every now and then, still refer to venture patrols as venture crews, and some folk call Venturing Crews Venture Crew When I first heard about it. Just as i refered to the brimmed hat by its original name.

Stosh,

I wish national would go back to allowing the RANK pin of the Scout to be worn on the smokey bear. When I worked for supply and the "new" hat pin policy came out, ie. First Class pin for all youth, pewter for adults, it wa a major pain to have to tell folks that the First Class pin is considered a rank and that we cannot sell it to them without an advancement report per national policy.