Usefulness of bsauniforms.org

Well,I had to look since everybody's talking about it, And here's what I think:

From my 39 year old perspective...It's pretty dumb, lame and boring.I don't "get it".

But I can say the same for "Silly Bands" , Camp Rock, Suite Life On Deck, Any of the Pokemon, Bakugan, or other anime type games/toys/shows.

4 years ago, I wouldn't have been caught singing some of the songs, and dancing some of the dances I do now at pack and den meetings. I wouldn't have taken the time to watch or be in some of the skits that happen at campouts.

But ask a 9 year old and - well, they are just freaking awesome!

Click to drag the patch to the correct spot on the uniform.

Hey, why not? As many patches as I have seen that were wrongly placed ..why not have a site than can show where they belong?

Again, from my 39 year old perspectrive ..pointlessand a waste of time.

But a 7 through 11 year old perspective might think it's cool. As long as the scouts get something or anything out of it..Then I'm good with it!

have they fixed teh trained patch on the female CS leader yet? They had teh tan and green one showing.

Just went there, glad they fixed the CS trained emblem. But what is up with 2 differetn types of scouts, Boy Scout, and Boy Scout-Eagle Rank, and what's up with the supersized patrol medallion? Also why does the Eagle A) have no flag on his shirt and B) has the wrong size MB sash?(This message has been edited by Eagle92)

Well, I found that if your an adult Venturing leader, you are kind of left out. The scouter section seems only for Boy Scout & Cub Scout leaders.

And in checking out the Venturer section, they aren't clear on things like the other insignia you wear (tho you can see the red/white numerals).

Emb,

Don't feel to bad,they don't even mention Sea Scout uniforms at BSAUNIFORMS.org (caps to show that it is suppose to cover all uniforms by the URL, not just national supply).

HMMM I wonder if I facebook them about the lack of venturing leaders and sea scouts, they will fix it? I FB'd them about the wrong training strip and that got fixed.

Eagle92 said "have they fixed teh trained patch on the female CS leader yet? They had teh tan and green one showing. "

yeah it is red now, but since nobody has stirred the pot today, didn't the insignia guide at one point show ALL leaders in the "centennial" unifrom shirt as wearing green numerals & trained patches ;)

I just viewed it myself and all I can say is it is nice the national employees have so much time on their hands while earning those big salaries, however the graphics looked good.

Did anyone else notice that when you move the male adult leader he staggers like he is drunk, lol, maybe another trait at National.

Adam,

Nope the Insignia Guide never showed all leaders, or Webelos wearing the BS uniform, in tan and green items. BUT the Insignia Guide for the Centennial Uniforms also came out about 8-9 months after the uniforms did.

Prior to the IG coming out, all BSA literature referecneing the new uniforms did show everyone in the CUs in green and tan numbers, and trained strip if applicable. In fact some post IG literature from national, i.e. uniform essentials guides, seasonal catalogs, etc, did have pre-IG photos in them. Hence confusion still exists.

Forgot to add this for the Uniform Police, as I had to deal with this one time at a uniform inspection. ;)

1) BSA states that all uniforms ever used are still permitted to be worn. So if a CS or CS leader is wearing the green and tan numbers on his CU shirt, he is in a "vintage" August 2008-April 2009 era uniform, and thus properly uniformed per the instructions in place at that time ;)

2)Further the literature from that period also state that items from the "ODL" uniform and CUs are interchangable. So a scout or leader wearing red numbers or loop on his CU shirt is also properly uniformed per the instructions from that time. ;)

Whoever thought up the color switch wasn't thinking IMHO.

EDITED: Yep I still have a copy of the pdf that said he above.(This message has been edited by eagle92)

The graphics on the bsauniforms.org web page are tame compared to some of the video games these boys play. Just as an example, the opening video to Beatles Rock Band - towards the end, I am mesmerized my it. I also recently purchased a High Def TV and the graphics on some the HD commercials are something else.

Scouting is in competition with all the other things a boy can be doing with his time. The value of these graphics is that it keeps the viewer interested in the content of the web page and ultimately in scouting.

"Don't feel to bad, they don't even mention Sea Scout uniforms at BSAUNIFORMS.org (caps to show that it is suppose to cover all uniforms by the URL, not just national supply)."

And why should they???

National Supply hasn't been the source of Sea Scout uniforms for decades. And what Sea Scout insignia they do make is usually cr*p. For some items, you have to go elsewhere to get (like the Ship's Store in CA).

Emb,

Because Sea Scouts are part of the BSA, do not get the promotion they deserve (and advertising Sea Scouts would be a benefit as we both know not many folks know about them) and do have uniforms. Why wouldn't national support a BSA program.

Grant you Ships Stores have better quality patches and insignia, know that from my old Sea Explorer stuff I got from NS and my current stuff from Ships Stores. Heck a bunch of the Sea Scout stuff from NS is restricted, i.e. the Sea Scout Leader pin and lapel pin. Plus with only 7000 Sea Scouts, it isn't feasible for national to make uniforms on their own, hence the agreement with the USN and others.

My thought is this, national needs to support Sea Scouts, and this would be one way of doing so.