Veteran Unit Emblems?

There is a unit in my District that will be marking its 90th Anniversary this year.

Their UC is asking what's out there to commemorate this.

I know about the Veterans Bar that is worn above the unit numbers on the uniform.

I also see Veteran Unit Emblems on scoutstuff.org.

The description says: Dark blue polyester/cotton fabric is screen printed in yellow ink. Design measures 7-1/4". Sold in pairs.

Where do they go?

Is there anything else - Certificate, flag ribbon, sign available?

How did your unit mark an Anniversary?

Those blue verteran unit emblems go onto the unit flag. They are nice, but here's the catch: has the unit been around uninterupted for 90 years? See the unit must have no lapse in rechartering, b/c if it does then tenure starts all over.

I have a unit that I started lapse for a few months, there was no DE and the dis com and commish staff were few and overwhelmed, so when they did recharter, they had to start from scratch with tenure.

I just looked at a copy of their roster.

It was printed in June 2010.

Tenure = 1066 months. Looks like they have a little bit to go.

Is the tenure from the recharter date - April 1 or is it from the date the roster was printed?

Placement of veteran unit emblems:

From http://www.scouting.org/scoutsource/Media/InsigniaGuide/11.aspx:

"Veteran insignia. Veteran insignia is affixed to unit and local council flags midway between the top and bottom of the flag and midway between the pole and the flag emblem."

So, as you look at your flag, it's to the left of center of the flag.

As Eagle92 says, there may have been lapses in the unit registration that reset the clock on veteran unit status. The easiest way to verify the unit's tenure is to check last year's recharter report. In the upper right corner of the first page will be a field labeled "Tenure" with the number of months tenure that your council has recorded for the unit. Depending on the report format, it may also be listed about 2/3 of the way down the first page on the left in a field labeled "XXX Months Completed Tenure".

Alternately, a quick call to your Council registrar will get you the information as well.

Some of the confusion we are seeing is that on the Commissioner Unit Vistation tracking it shows the unit was first chartered in Nov. of 1920 - which would make 90 years in a couple of months

On the charter printed in June it shows tenure as 1066 months - 88 years 10 months.

Don't know back in the day, but about 12 years ago, a unit had 3 months after the recharter deadline to get their paperwork in and processed, or they were considered a "dropped" unit and tenure started over. the 90 day grace was probably due to time lapse from when charter was received by the council, and when it was comopletely processed.