Sock Question

OK, I know I'm being paranoid, but if we wear the shorts, does it matter what type of BSA socks we wear with it? I've only seen pictures of leaders in shorts wearing the calf high socks (which I don't wear even if I'm hiking). I got the mid size (over the ankle?) BSA socks that I usually wear. I usually don't think twice about the sock length, but the pack will be marching in the Centenial parade and I don't want someone come up to me and tell me I'm wearing the wrong socks.

If someone tells you that, offer to stuff the (damp and slightly sweaty) sock you're wearing in "it," for them.

Seriously, if they're coming up to you on a parade route to tell you your Tiger Cub's socks are all wrong, they have a real problem.

AF,

As long as they are offical socks, you will be fine. BTW I am in Area 3, section 63 of the Assembly Area, are you anywhere close? Grant you with 10000 scouts and scouters in the parade....

Also per the PDF that national came out with prior to the 2009 Insignia Guide, you can wear the red topped socks with the Centennial uniform. Heard about how someone decided to switch manufacturers of the socks right before jambo, and they hadn't arrived yet.

I wear any BSA sock I wish with shorts. I prefer the knee-highs in brushy locations.

The only time I wear non-BSA socks is when I wear heavy hiking socks, long pants and gaiters. I've never had any uniform police types ever mention something they can't see. :)

Stosh

Stosh,

I hear ya on the socks. But I beleive the Uniform Police will be on the prowl prior to the parade as they are heavily emphasising the complete and correct unfiorm. Gonna carry extra uniform items, sewing kit, etc. just in case. And I am wearing my Sea Scout uniform, just to drive the UPs crazy ;)

AF,

yes it is!

I my area the Lyme's ticks are more of a threat than small rocks so I go with the gaiters and/or duct tape the cuff's shut. Some of the boys pull their socks up over their pant cuffs, too. Looks dorky, but so does duct tape. Some of the boys opt not to because it tends to be a bit warmer than open cuffs, but everyone that does never get's ticks.

So far I have only had to take one tick off of any boy. When the SM comes at them with a knife in one hand, needle-nosed pliers in the other, a bottle of alcohol to clean up afterwards and a Cheshire grin from ear to ear, they become avid duct tape disciples. :)

Stosh

• 2 weeks later...