Question about the Switchbacks

I was at the scout store on Friday, attempting to buy my son his Webelos uniform. I noticed that some of the Switchbacks are made from the Dupont Supplex. My son liked that material better than the cotton / polyester (although I thought those looked better), so I did purchase him a pair even though I nearly had a heart attack when I saw they were $50. Anyway, I was checking out www.scoutstuff.org when I got home and I noticed there are two pairs, the Centennial Switchbacks Uniform Pants ($50) and the Switchbacks Official Uniform Pants, Youth & Men ($20). By reading the description I can't tell much of a difference except in the price. Does anyone know a difference? To be honest, neither of of the pants (Supplex or Cotton / Polyester) fit him very well. He is rather tall and average weight, but the shorts come well below his knees when he zips them off. His size 8 jeans fit him well, but the size 8 cotton / polyester switchbacks are huge.

On the shirts, he preferred the cotton / polyester one over the Supplex one because the sleeves were much shorter. I also found a shirt online, Boy Scout Short-Sleeve Shirt, that looks identical but is about half the price. How can I tell exactly what I am getting? Is this one made of the cotton / polyester? It does not say.

I want him to have the proper uniform and I want it to fit well, but I would much rather pay $20 for pants than $50. Seriously, I don't even buy myself $50 pants, and I know he is going to grow out of them quickly.

The $20 Switchbacks are the older version with zippers by the cuff. Beware of these as my then 12 year old destroyed two or three pair doing nothing more than regular Scout stuff. He must have jumped and climbed a lot because all of them gave way right in the center of the crotch.

My current 8 year old (54 inches, 65 lbs) has the blue size 8 in the cotton/canvas fabris, and they are really big on him as well. The shorts are rather long, but the fabric is better for us here in Europe. They do have an adjustable waist. The nylon Centennials are very nice for warmer, damper weather, and my 15 year old is taking 2 pair to Jamboree, even though he likes the other fabric better.

As much as your son is going to grow in the next few years, go with the cheapest/looks best uniform you want. A Scout is thrifty. :)

Nike is correct, the older uniforms are on sale. And do be careful as they are sized incorrectly. I'm an XL, 32L, and heard that the old Switchbacks ran large. I got both L AND XL sizes. Larges are big, but wearable with a belt. XLs swallowed me. Also the length was off.

I think they had a bad batch. Because my son blew the crotch out. Took them back and got a replacement pair that have held up well

I liked the older version better they had a zipper on the cuff that would allow you to take off and replace the pant leg with out taking your boots off.