What about the canvas centenneial pants?

Has anyone tried these instead of the thin ones? Do they convert into shorts just the same? Also, do they have the zippers at the bottom?

I know that the *vintage* (yes, I see them called that) ODR canvas pants were a lot more sturdy IMO and it took a real bad spill on the pavement for my son to tear them (even then, they could be easily fixed). I was thinking about getting him a set of those, especially come winter.

Just looking for opinions and experience, thanks.

As a National Supply employee I wear a pair 40-50 hours a week. I greatly prefer them to the nylon ones. They convert to shorts but don't have ankle zippers. The centennial nylon ones don't have ankle zippers either. Only the first generation switchbacks had ankle zippers. My only complaint about them is the "break in period". They are a little "stiff" when they are new. After a few washing they great. Definitely warmer up here in the great white north.

I do miss the zippers at the ankles, but appreciate having to keep a lot less inventory in my store from their discontinuation. Now I only have to stock and count 1 inseam length for each waist size. We used to have to have 4 lengths for each waist size. Too much stuff in too small a store.

• 2 months later...

how do they run? I wear a 36w and the scout shop employee said they run very small so if you're a 36, get a 38. I did so and I feel like the are very large in the seat and crotch area, will a 36 be way too small or should I give them a go? Overall, I like the pant a lot.

I was just at the Bethesda Scout Shop last week. Visiting DC, anyway, I had already gotten a pair of the canvas ones from TAC-BSA Scout Shop and sewn them up and flew with them over to the States. The seam in the hip blew out on the flight??? anyway, they took them back and exchanged them for another pair. I wore them yesterday, and do like them. I went ahead and reinforced the seams in them, at the crouch, hips and seat while I was at the machine already sewing up the lengths. I do like them, but would prefer them without the leg(short conversion zips.. they catch me just at the knees.. Anyway, better looking then the light weight versions, and they iron up better..

I got mine in my normal size and they are perfect.. I got a set for another ASM in his size and had to exchange them due to the wrong size..

I was just at the Bethesda Scout Shop last week. Visiting DC, anyway, I had already gotten a pair of the canvas ones from TAC-BSA Scout Shop and sewn them up and flew with them over to the States. The seam in the hip blew out on the flight??? anyway, they took them back and exchanged them for another pair. I wore them yesterday, and do like them. I went ahead and reinforced the seams in them, at the crouch, hips and seat while I was at the machine already sewing up the lengths. I do like them, but would prefer them without the leg(short conversion zips.. they catch me just at the knees.. Anyway, better looking then the light weight versions, and they iron up better..

I got mine in my normal size and they are perfect.. I got a set for another ASM in his size and had to exchange them due to the wrong size..

I have them as well. I like them over the lighter weight material. I wear a 38 and they are the roomiest 38s I own. This is partly due to the expanding waist feature they have. I definitely need to wear the belt with them. My only complaint is as mentioned above, the zipper for the cut off to shorts hits right at the knee. If I need to kneel down I have to pull them up a bit. This is all due to the larger cargo pocket. They are big enough to hold the scout handbook, except I never see a kid carry one in their pocket.