New Cub Scout Uniform?

I guess I don't mind the mixing of historical uniforms with the current version.

I have one boy that wears the old green uniform with community strip and garrison cap. He gets a lot of inquiries as to his uniform and he then has an opportunity to talk with the questioner about the importance of the BSA uniform.

Our troop has elected to include a stave as part of their official uniform (6' closet rod with hook in one end) and all the boys carry them and have them at the flag ceremonies. Like the neckers, the boys thought it a good option for them. If someone complains, the boys are instructed to lay them down on the ground, straight forward from their right foot. Even when not holding them they all look "uniformed".

This process has done a lot for our boys to take the lead in proper uniforming and inquisitive troops in our area, even if they don't make any changes, have a better understanding of what the uniform stands for.

Is there a downside to this? Yes, our boys wear their uniform for the entire week of summer camp. We try to get them all washed mid-week, but they are a challenge for the moms when we get home. There is no such thing as a "class-b uniform" in our troop.

As far as pants are concerned, if any boy turns in a pair of pants in good condition as he grows, he gets another traded in pair in a larger size for no cost. New boys pay $15 for a first pair and could conceivably go all the way through to Eagle for no more investment than that. If one works at removing excuses it can happen.

Stosh

Well my troop did have a "Class B" for summer time meetings and at camporees: socks, shorts/pants, belt, scouting t-shirt/troop t-shirt, and hat. Evening assembly, dinner,and certain campfires was the Class A that included the B items above plus uniform shirt, necker, woggle, and troop totem.

I do like the idea of staves ;)

As for keepign the uniforms clean, that is what the "Brownsea Washing Machine" is for ;) basically entering the showerhouse in uniform and washing it while you take your shower. In the heat of SE MS, it would be dry by lunch the next day.

We have one better than the Brownsea Washing Machine. Any boy that refuses to take a shower and getting his uniform washed has the option on Wednesday of doing so or getting tossed in the lake. No one has challenged the policy as of yet. :)

As far as the staves are concerned, the boys all stand at attention and when the command to salute is given, they all shift the stave to their left hand leaving the butt near their right foot and then salute. The visual is impossible to miss.

Stosh(This message has been edited by jblake47)

• 2 months later...

The only problem with this is a lack of available sizes. Tigers have been wearing the blue uniform for a while now, and National Supply has yet to issue a smaller size shirt and pants. My son was a Tiger at 6 years old, and is an 8 year old Wolf now. He still swims in his shirt, and none of the current issue pants fit him. I ended up purchasing blue school uniform pants.

Mat

------------------------------------------------------------------------

JBLAKE47:

It would be nice to see Cubs follow the expected practice of BSA with a full uniform. I have yet to see a Cub Scout in our Council properly uniformed, and with the exception of my troop and a few adults, no Boy Scouts either.

Mat, never, ever, buy a Tiger a small size shirt.

Those things are not cheap, and you do not want to buy a new one every year. The larger shirt you bought your son when he was 6 years old still fits him at 8, and if you are very lucky, it will fit him until he crosses over into Boy Scouts in 5th grade!

At that point you buy him a larger tan shirt that he will be growing into FAST. If you are REAL lucky, he might make it until 8th grade before a new shirt is needed.

So he looks a bit baggy right now. Count your lucky stars!