When Did You Notice Uniforming Becoming an "Option"

Yah, one of da funny things about scoutin' is that it's so very hard to imagine da different circumstances that other scouters are dealin' with. Unit leaders that run what they feel are successful units all seem to expect that they can pick their methods up and transport 'em anywhere. Just doesn't work.

Doesn't work because other adults are different, and don't think of things da same way. Some don't have the right personality or experiences to do things the same way you do.

Doesn't work because other kids are different. Yeh may think yeh know all about kids, but if you've been workin' in only a couple units in one or two communities you're foolin' yourself. You'd find that if you moved to a truly different community you'd have to change da way you do things or you wouldn't be successful.

Doesn't work because families and COs and communities are different, and don't think of things da same way. Some provide opportunities for lads to earn money; others don't because those jobs are bein' done by adults who are tryin' to eek out a living.

I'm always really glad when I hear folks who are proud of their units' success. I share in their pride, and applaud their efforts. But when they get to da whole bit about how everybody can/should do it their way because of their success, I just smile quietly. It just doesn't work that way, eh? If it was really that easy, we would have done it long ago.

Mostly, I've found da fellows that are successful with units in one area fail when they try to lead units in another. Anyone who's spent any time with Scoutreach knows what I'm talkin' about. Heck, yeh can even point to da many great Cubmasters who make lousy Scoutmasters. And da few fellows who are real saints and so deeply kid-focused that they succeed in multiple places change their methods a lot. They adapt what they do to da circumstances where they're serving, rather than hold on to one approach.

Different kids, different leaders, different communities are just different. In each, yeh have to make choices about how to use your limited resources - time, energy, and dollars - to do the best yeh can. And da right answer is different in different places and for different people.

And for different times.

Beavah

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic