Uniforming and echelons above Unit

"scoutlder" said:

From reading this forum for the last several years, and reading Scouting magazine and Boys' Life, I can only come to the conclusion that proper uniforming is MUCH more important to us than it is to the BSA.

Frankly, I think you're right. If you look at one metric, and one only... the resources devoted by National, Regions, Areas and Councils to uniforming, you're going to find the printed resources are pretty slim: The Uniform and Insignia Guide, assorted inspection sheets, and mentions in various program materials... usually under the Uniform Method for Cub and Boy Scouting (remember... uniform is not a Method of Venturing).

When it comes to people, we have National Advancement Committees, Council Exec Board Activities Committees, District Camping Committees, all of which are reinforced by manpower from the Commissioner's Service. Do we have a Council Uniform Committee? No. What about District Uniform Operations Committees?No.

Commissioners, if invited to, may conduct an annual uniform inspection.

Now, does National devote resources to protecting the brand name and image of Scouting? You bet your bottom dollar. Even there, though, it's hit or miss. Think of the Commish lady on Survivor, and about how we thought of her? (Even there, she cleared it through her SE as I recall to National in advance). Think of that guy on "Deal or No Deal." Think of the various licensure of Scout symbol debates we've heard of ...

My assessment: The senior Commish and the higher Professional staff think there are bigger fish to fry.

John,

Without a doubt. As a Commissioner, I have a concern that the youth and leaders wear the proper uniform, but if they don't, they don't. I encourage it. I try to keep my uniform as close to plan as I can. But, who am I to dictate to a volunteer or a youth that he/she must be in proper uniform. My bigger fish is most definitely, THANK YOU FOR BEING IN SCOUTING.

I'm concerned with membership way so much more than if Jimmy put his World Conservation award above his right pocket or his unit numbers don't touch the CSP. Yah, uniforming is a method. OK, I get it.

Attention Uniform Police: expect to be put into convulsions for the next several years. There are many plans to add 100th anniversary patches over the next few months. I heard from Tico Perez, these were to be worn only thru 2010. How many people will wear them forever on their uniforms? Get used to it.

Rk,

Onething about the centennial rings, no one has publicly stated that they are limited in time. it's been implied, commented on FB, but NATIONAL hasn't come out and said it yet.

FYI (This message has been edited by a staff member.)