Scout shirts in bulk?

Does anyone know where i can buy bulk Cub Scout shirts to save some money? We have had many scouts drop out for lack of funds to pay for uniform stuff and dues,etc., etc. We would just like to see our Cubbies save some cash! We are a small pack getting back on our feet after many leader issues and changes. Thanks for any info.!!!

Hi,

Welcome to the forums!

Our tiny pack watches the thrift stores carefully (found a brand new cub shirt yesterday!) and also eBay and shopgoodwill.com for scout stuff. We also have talked to larger packs in our area about any extra uniform pieces they might have available. Check with your council office, too, to see if they have a uniform closet of donated uniforms.

Wish I had a better answer for you

I don't think there is anywhere to buy them in bulk, although second-hand options listed by sheldonsmom are often good for cub uniforms. You might also consider having a pack T shirt. Those can be much cheaper (usually under $10) and although it is not the "official uniform," if cost is truly keeping kids from being scouts then this might be a good compromise option.

Having a uniform is not required to be a Cub scout, you have had Cubs quit because they can't afford a uniform?

Spend your money on more imprtant things than the uniform, like on fun things for the kids so they want to come to more scouting activities and then the uniform will follow.

And I say this as a staunch supporter of correct uniforming, but not at the expense of losing a scout, cub or otherwise(This message has been edited by oldgreyeagle)

Agree with OGE. Start with a Pack T-shirt, and perhaps a Pack sweatshirt. There's nothing wrong with an activity or Class B uniform of blue jeans and a T-shirt.

I would say, though, urge the kids to get good quality blue jeans, and to use them for school only on den meeting days. Start teaching a little about clean and neat.

Yes, use thrift stores as a source of supply for T-shirts, also ask at your district roundtable if there are units which can donate from their uniform closets.

Do help Moms and Dads by explaining where patches go. It's sorta funky seeing a kid with his Wolf patch on his right pocket ;) (I tend to keep quiet on those, I'm happy he's attending and having fun).(This message has been edited by John-in-KC)

Good ideas so far. Also ask around at your monthly roundtable meetings. See if any other Cub Packs in your area are willing to donate from their uniform closet. Remind your parents that once their son outgrows his uniform to donate to the Pack for another scout who may need a uniform.

Contact your District Executive. He can go through your Council and see about Friends of Scouting money. FOS money collected by your council can be used to help outfit your Cubs. Ours, I know, will provide a uniform shirt and handbook to those in need. We have several scouts in our Troop that benefit from that. In our case they will also cover the annual registration fee.

It is truly a shame that you have Cubs dropping out for lack of a uniform. As far as dues, does your Pack hold fundraising events? The profits each scout makes from sales could be put into scout accounts to be used for uniforms, dues, outings, and other things. We use popcorn sales for that. Some of our guys earn enough to go to a week of summer camp for free.