Reasons to wear uniforms - convincing other leaders

I'm in a very new pack, and uniforms are treated very casually, with several of the DLs not even owning a uniform.

I know there are a lot of benefits to wearing the uniforms, not least of which is being more of an authority figure to the cubs, and setting a good example.

I'd like to encourage the other leaders to improve in this area, but i don't want to preach at them or just pint at the guidebook and say "You have to do it because that's the rule!".

Does anyone have anything I could use to help demonstrate that leaders wearing uniforms helps make the scouting experience better for the cubs? I want to come across as friendly as I can on this, and not be confrontational at all.

Ok, I may start sounding like Kudu, but I am going to use some excerpts form the 3rd ed SM handbook. You can substitute troop for pack and den as the case may be.

"The Scout Uniform is a part of the romance of Scouting. It is a symbol of the ideals and outdoor activities for which the movement stands It has the picturesque touch which helps the Scout to identify himslef with the great traditions of our outdoorsman-the pioneer, the explorer, scout, and cowboy- which underlie the game of Scouting" p.286

"16. The Scout Leader's Uniform makes his leadership more efective by adding to the boys' RESPECT for him as their leader.

17. It establishes the Leader in the eyes of the community as a man of AUTHORITY who has knowledge of matters pertaining to boy welfare.

18. It aid the Leader in developing Troop SPIRIT and MORALE by adding the correct Scouting touch to all functions of the Troop.

19. The uniformed Scout Leader sets the EXAMPLE, which is the first and most important step toward complete uniforming for his Scouts. [emphasis mine]

20. The complete uniforming of his troop provides a feeling of PRIDE IN ACCOMPLISHEMTS, a sense of success attained that unconsciously creates a fertile field for further successes in other lines connected with the running of the troop.

21. It causes the Scout Leader to be UNSELFISH, to work as one of a team to give the benefits of a worldwide movement to the boys in his community."

Good luck with that one. From my own experiance I could be led to think its indigenous to the area. I live just up the road from you in Rockwell (Salisbury), North Carolina.

I'd much rather keep the leader than show them the door for not wearing the uniform. Best advice I can give is continue to set the example by wearing yours, and, perhaps, letting them know when uniforms are on sale! You'd be hard pressed to catch me out of my uniform at a Scouting function!

Perhaps we'll see each other at Lowe's Motor Speedway tonight? Scouts and leaders get in free! Don't expect us to stay till the very end, however.

Best regards,

Eagle 1977

aka RAFjr

It sets the example for the boys

It sets the example for other adults

It promotes Scouting in the community.

I have had numerous people thank me for my work with the Scouts, they were all total strangers I met in restaurants and out in public while I was wearing my uniform either shopping with the boys for camping grub. I have had a young family of four with small kids pick up the tab on my dinner at the restaurant for both me and my date. I went over to explain that I wasn't military, and they responded, yes I know, you're a SM. End of story.

The uniform has a lot bigger impact on the world around than what the wearer may think. People who don't wear the uniform do so for themselves, those that do wear it do so for Scouting.

I have the only full uniform troop in our council as far as I know at this time.

Stosh

How can you expect the scouts to wear a full uniform if the leaders don't? Full an correct uniform is the only way.

I got lots of pushback on the neckerchiefs from my son. He claimed they were too hot around his neck. I started carving neckerchiefs slides with the intent of chaning the question from "Do I have to wear a neckerchief?" to "Which slide should I wear this time?" It helped some but he still complains their are too hot.

Arrowhead, sadlye won't be going to the race. even thought you can see the speedway from where we meet, our pack failed to get the paperwork turned in in time. :(

I'm holding out for a stock car racing Belt loop from national though.

Eagle92, thanks for the advice. thats the sort of thing I was looking for.

Req,

There is a VERY good SM minute that can be modified for CS use on the importance of a necker on MACSCOUTER.COM I've modified and embellished it and used it this past monday to explain why a necker is so important for the uniform prior to all the CS getting their new neckers for summer. Got a lot of compliments on it from the adults, and the CS thought it was cool.

Also every time you see me, including in venturing uniform, I wear a necker. Get's people's attention and starts up conversation about scouting, especially the European ones I've traded for or been gifted with. Got a bunch of the adults thinking about creating a pack necker for the adults to wear. I think I am starting to be a corrupting influence ;)

As for the necker being hot, that's b/c most folks wear them UNDER the collar. Need to wear it "old school" over a tucked in collar, then it protects the neck and keeps ya cool.

(This message has been edited by eagle92)