Activity Uniform?

At the risk of being wrong! (And the fact that I'm not able to find it on the BSA web site!)

I always thought that the Activity Uniform which is often called a "Class B" (I know some people get upset about this. But I've never really worked out why?)

Consisted of:

BSA Socks, pants, belt and some kind of a shirt which had some kind of Scouting logo on it. Normally a t-shirt.

Am I wrong?

I did find something in Scouting Magazine September 2002 which mentions it, but wasn't able to find an kind of official type guideline.

Eamonn.

I think the confusion comes about due to the Scout Activity shirt, the red polo currently on clearance.

As for the Class A, B, etc., as many know that is a military uniform designation and usage seems to imply that BSA is violating the non-militaristic clause of the charter.

I prefer the designations: uniform, uniform with sash, activity uniform (troop T with Scout pants/shorts), and grubby (old Scout T with pants/shorts your parents don't mind never seeing in one peice again.)

Mike forgot to mention the maroon VENTURE activity shirt for scouts in Venture Crews now called Venture Patrols. These items were not very popular, but I got the shorts, red shirt, and maroon shirt as an present from one of my Eagles. Before these items were discontinued, one of the local distributers got tired of having them and not selling them, So he gave a few away to his staff, of which my friend was one, and sold them at cost to get them out of his inventory. And still he couldn't get rid of all of them.

"Mike forgot to mention the maroon VENTURE activity shirt for scouts in Venture Crews now called Venture Patrols."

HUH??

Venturing Crews are now no longer stand alone units, but a Patrol in a Boy Scout Troop?? Since when? What are all of those female Venturers doing?

As far as I know, Venturing Crews and Venture Patrols are completely separate entities, in cmpletely separate programs, and always have been. The maroon color block shirts were alternate Venturing Crew uniform shirts. They were never a uniform alternative of any kind for Boy Scouts in any Troop Patrol, Venture or otherwise.

ScoutNut

Prior to Venturing coming out in August 1998, the name of the subunit of a troop that replaced the Leadership Corps was called a Venture Crew. They wore the same uniform as a Scout, with the tan Venture strip aboce the BSA strip. When Venturing came out, the term Venture Crew was replaced with Venture Patrol and traditional Exploring Posts became Venturing Crews, while career oriented posts remained. That's why EMB and some other Venturing leaders get upset when some of us old fogeys call VENTURING crews VENTURE crews.

And yes national was made aware of how confusing it could get prior to Venturing splitting off of Exploring as a bunch of us told the national Venturing director about the oncoming confusion when we met him in may of 1998 at PDL.

As for the maroon shirt and Venturing, I am not talking about the maroon, green and white shirt with the Venturing Logo. I am talking about the all maroon polo with the universal emblem and the word VENTURE underneath. Again they were not very popular, but few folks have them.

Eagle92 is correct in his comments.

The Venture/Venturing confusion has been a pain in our *ss for over ten years.

This had lead to nonsense like Venture Patrols thinking they can wear the forest green Venturing shirts, or people saying that the 'venture patrol is just venturing in the troop'. I wonder how many people think venture patrol members can earn venturing advancement?

EMB,

Funnys story, I knew of a SPL/Venture patrol member (way it worked in troop was that SPL could do Venture Crew/patrol activities when they were on their own) thought that they could do Venturing adavancement. When he found out they couldn't, he turned the Venture patrol into a venturing crew, got the entire venture patrol to sign on as Venturers, as well as a few of the 18-20 Y.O. ASMs, and got the crew going.

In some aspects the unit looked like the 1950s model with the Venturing Crew wearing the green and grey at troop meetings, doing the isntruction and mentoring to the younger scouts, and then plannign their stuff during patrol corners.