When can CubScouts wear their medals?

After much searching and searching, I am hoping that the encyclopedia of knowledge that is The Scouter Forum can help.

Regarding the wearing of medals (Religous, PWD, Regatta, etc.), popular belief (from the web and several old Scouters) is that medals should only be worn on special occasions.

However, when trying to research this policy, I have looked on the BSA website and in the new 2009-10 Insignia Guide. The only thing that these list is that they are worn a max of 5 at a time, over the left pocket. I haven't found anything about only wearing them for special occasions.

Maybe, in an older insignia guide that was listed or that policy has changed. If anyone has current Insignia Guide pages or even older ones, that list this policy, I would appreciate it.

(For the record, I know that this only matters to us Type A Dads. They're CubScouts, they can wear 20 medals if they want, but someone asked me and I like to have BSA policy in addition to my opinion.)

Thanks

"Regarding the wearing of medals (Religous, PWD, Regatta, etc.), popular belief (from the web and several old Scouters) is that medals should only be worn on special occasions."

Its not so much policy as just good sense.

Medal are for formal occasion. that's why we have knots and patches and such to wear day to day.

No policy on this just the Scouting equalivent of urban myth.

My advice would be to wear them any time you're not afraid they will fall off and get lost. Even then, you can buy the participation medals (PWD, etc.) by the gross. I would be a little more careful with a religious medal, just because it's more special and a little more difficult to replace (but not impossible).

Otherwise, let the boys wear them whenever they like. That's why they were given to them.

I was working a Cub Day Camp several years ago when I came across a Cub in full uniform, proudly wearing his religious medal.

I didn't see his walking den leader but suggested to him that it might be a good idea to put the medal safely in his shirt pocket and button the flap. He kept going oblivious to my suggestion. Of course, someone later found the medal but we had no clue which Pack the Cub was in. All we could do was turn it into the camp lost & found and hope the boy came back to retrieve it.

The "policy", such as it is, may be an urban legend, but there's a reason for it, nonetheless . . .

This is how we put things when asked about wearing medals.

1 - Medals are best worn for formal ceremonies; Pack Meetings, Blue and Gold, Scout Sunday. Just make sure that you give them plenty of opportunity to wear them and show them off.

2 - We don't wear them to everyday den meetings and Go-See-Its. THhis way when there is the chance to wear them it is more important.

3 - We don't wear them on outings because:

+ They may fall off and get lost

+ If camping and setting up tents, the medals may catch and either fall off, tear the uniform, or tear the material on the tent or tarp.

That is some of the reasoning that we use with our parents and Cub Scouts.

While there's not an explicit "rule" in the Insignia Guide, there is a general statement about excess insignia, which may be the source of the information you've been given.

"Members should make every effort to keep their uniforms neat and uncluttered."

There is also this statement:

"Two Badges With the Same Meaning

Cloth badges and embroidered square knots are representative of metal pin-on awards and are designed for the convenience of the wearer. Generally, when a cloth badge is worn, the metal one is not worn."

Note - the language says "generally". Most Scouters interpret this to mean that they shouldn't wear the medals which correspond to the training or award knots when they are wearing the knots on the shirt. This guidance gets extrapolated to the youth.

Hey, thanks for the responses. I agree with your comments. It seems that this has gone from good idea to a local policy to a "rule" from national. And now this "rule" is on the internets and everyone assumes that if its on the internets it must be true.

So, after much searching and asking, my policy is still "Wear 'em if you don't mind losin' em'". The whole "formal occasion" thing doesn't work to well for cubs. They would only get to wear them twice a year, maybe. Then, what's the point in having them.

Thanks again for your thoughts.

The official uniform policy used to say "Medals are worn only on formal occasions such as official uniform inspections, blue and gold banquets, troop courts of honor, etc." But now all I can find is a vague statement that "These medals can be displayed on the Scout's uniform at appropriate events." (http://www.scouting.org/CubScouts/Awards/Adults/other.aspx)

In our pack, we have always told our Cub Scouts that the medals should only be worn to the Annual Blue & Gold Banquet or if they attend a Boy Scout troop's Court of Honor ceremony. Personally, I think wearing them only once or twice a year makes them even more special.

RJ,

Not to sound contrary but if you look here, you will see that that is not the case. Checkout the "old" insignia guide found here:

http://www.scouting.org/media/insigniaguide/10K.aspx

Medals and Embroidered Knots

Wearing medals and embroidered knots

Only five medals may be worn at a time pinned in a single row immediately above the seam of the left pocket. (emphasis added) Knots are worn above the left pocket in rows of three. The order of wearing of medals and knots is at the discretion of the wearer. It is suggested that the medal or knot deemed most important by the wearer be worn on his or her own right. Embroidered knots are representative of pin-on medals or around-the-neck awards and are designed for the convenience of the wearer. In the case of the District Award of Merit and Professional Training Award, the knot is the only wearable insignia. The knots are listed here in alphabetical order.

Hope this helps.