Action Shirt Replaces Activity Shirt? Documented Where?

It has been asserted elsewhere in the forums that the Boy Scout Action Shirt is the designated replacement for the red Boy Scout Activity Shirt.

Does anyone have a solid reference for the assertion, as opposed to cases of "somebody told me?"

Am sorry, but why is that an issue one way or another?

Neither is the scout uniform (what most call 'class A'). Both shirts, along with scout/unit t-shirts, would be considered 'class B' uniforms for use during activities, but not meetings or where a scout uniform is required.

In asking why that is an issue, I assume that you would like to know why I care enough to ask. I'll do my best to explain while being friendly, courteous, and kind. Words in CAPS for emphasis, not "yelling."

I understand the difference between and definitions of the official uniform and activity uniforms, and the occasions when either would be appropriate. I do not intend to rehash that basic information here.

In response to your question, uniforming matters because The Uniform is one of only eight methods of scouting. Even if an activity uniform is not THE official (formerly called "field") uniform, it a A uniform and as such is part of that method. In brief, uniforming is as important as any of the other methods. I also do not intend to initiate a review of the Aims and Methods here.

When presenting uniform information to PLC (for annual decisions) and to parents (for understanding and support), my explanation of the activity uniform has historically included the option of the red activity shirt as made available through the BSA Supply Division. That shirt was provided by the Supply Division for that very purpose. I.e., the INTENT for the red Activity Shirt was to provide an Activity Uniform option.

If the Action Shirt fills the exact same purpose (INTENT), then where is that documented? If not, then is something else coming to replace the red shirt? If something else is coming, what is it? The Action Shirt seemed to be introduced as an additional option at a time when the Activity Shirt was still available.

Restated, I would like to know if Supply will be providing something new with the same INTENT as the previous Activity Shirt, or if the Action Shirt is INTENDED to fill that specific niche. There is a lot of rumor and hearsay out there, but I haven't seen any firm sources cited.

Lastly, I am curious. To say this it is an "issue" may be strong wording. I would just like to know, and I thought perhaps someone in the forum community would have a source for the info.

Please forgive any unintended negative tone in this reply. Just trying to answer you question as to why I care about it in the first place.

Have you contacted Scout Supply and asked them?

I suppose the Action shirt is meant to imply that you will go do really cool activites in it. While the Activity shirt is just a red polo that your mom will yell at you for snagging or staining.

In truth, I don't think I've ever seen anyone wearing the Activity shirt, so it might just be time to get rid of it while introducing a more neutral, outdoor oriented and designed piece of apparel.

CA_Scouter: Thanks. I guess the grain of my response in that regard was that while not The uniform, still A uniform.

EMB: No offense taken nor intended!

Nike: Excellent suggestion. A nice lady at supply has pledged to find out and call me back tomorrow.

In my area, both the 'action shirt' and the 'activity shirt' would fall into the basic class of acceptable 'class B' (or if you prefer Activity Uniform) shirts, along with any scouting related t-shirts.

Atleast around here, I've not really seen any boys wearing the action shirt and only a few adults. Most kids don't wear scouting polos (either the activity shirt or most others). Its usually the adults and some older boys.

Main reason is these shirts are more costly then t-shirts. So when it comes time to have an activity uniform/class b uniform, its usually a t-shirt that's worn (plus to got from class a to class b, if you have a t-shirt, you just put on the uniform shirt and you're good to go).

Nice lady at Supply called back today. The info she received indicated that the Action Shirt is intended to fill that niche for now, and that it has not been determined whether something new (i.e., a new activity shirt) will be produced.

Maybe there is a plan somewhere, but if so, the folks at Supply are not privy to it. I suppose that they execute uniforming decisions made by someone else, anyway.

As a former national scout shop employee, I can tell you that they don't get much advance notice on uniform stuff. Heck look at some of the misinformation that has been handed out, i.e. CS Leaders still wear red number, etc. BUT once the info does come out, they are some of your best resources!